1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Ithandir - Blade of Iternity

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ajthomas, Jan 28, 2007.

1. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Ithandir - Blade of Eternity

Hi Guys,

This is my first figure posting on this site, although I'm a long time admirer. I've been doing 28mm figures for a little while now but this will be my first 54mm figure.

Decided I'd start with the Andrea Miniatures Ithandir from their Warlord Saga range.

This will also be my first attempt at a "realistic" setting for a base, Trying to find the right combination to created simulated vegetation, groundcover, tree roots ect.

It will ALSO be my first attempt at painting real Metallics. My previous 28mm figures have been NMM, but for these large scales I want to tackle a real metal finish, Ernesto, if your reading this I could really use some tips as I'm continually impressed with your metals. I'm going to be attempting a Pale Gold Plate Armor and am not sure how to tackle it yet.

Alot of firsts for me on this one :)

Anyway, here is the start of my figure. I usually like to start with the base as it helps me imagine the figure in its environment as I paint.

Any comments or suggestions more than welcome.

Regards,

Adam.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Your ground work is spot on,good work.
    looking forward to seeing the figure come together.

Cheers
    Roc
  3. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good work on the base!
    best regards
    christos
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work on the base Adam. It bounds altogether very nicely.

Xenofon
  5. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Breautiful base my friend . I am waiting to see the paintjob!!!!
  6. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Very nice groundwork, Adam

Robert
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Love the groundwork! Keep us posted, can't wait to see that figure integrated into it!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The groundwork is great. I like seeing the way miniaturists handle bases that have a chunk sliced out of them.~Gary
  9. Frank-Holger Member

MORE! The Base is top notch and shows lots of details! I love those bases not exactly cubes or squares; the example here shows a lot more "life"! Can´t wait to see the figure, and I hope, that you will post a lot of more from your stuff!

Frank
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's what i called groundwork.
    Great work.
    Now, up to the brushes and paint that fellow.
    Then, let us enjoy your artist work.

marc
  11. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Wow..... thanks for all the positive feedback guys..... :)

Getting to the brushes tonight.... should have some more progress posted in a couple of days.

Adam.
  12. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Adam
    I like the groudwork too, very realistic.
    Thanks for sharing.
  13. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    The ground work looks great! Please, do post some of your 28mm stuff. There are a few of us around that paint them also. :)

Cheers,
    Wendy
  14. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Hi guys,

Small update. Did get to do as much painting over the weekend as I had hoped.

Here is the head nearly completed. Just need to paint his necklace and a final highlight for his hair.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I've also made a start on the scale armor. With this being a fantasy figure, I wanted to do something different for this armor, and to distinguish it from his plate armor on his chest which be an old gold. I wanted to creat a shimmering armor that looked like it was reflecting light, shifting from a gold to a green colour. I was inspired by the colouring on a similar fantasy figure painted in NMM that really captured what I was after. I just need to add some more highlights, shadows and final weathering. It's currently just attached to the body with blu-tac to give an idea.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Adam.
  15. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Wow. I like your idea with the shimmerung armor. What have you used for the "gold"? It looks great.

Ulrich
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great so far. I look forward to seeing more progress.
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That is good looking armour. What did you used for that.
    I'm curius about that.

Marc
  18. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Thanks for the comments guys :),

For the shimmering gold, I started with a base coat of Tamiya Titanium Gold, which I then coated with a few washes of Vallejo Transparent Yellow to give more of a golden colour. It was then washed with various diluted washes of Vallejo Golden Green, Deep Green and Prussian Blue to create the shadings of the shimmering.

Regards,

Adam.
  19. Franco Active Member

Australia
    Great Job so far

Ciao Adam - good to see a fellow Ozzie on the forum as well. I think I saw your name on the Oz painters Forum?

Well done so far on the Andrea figure - the face & armour are really looking great. The groundwork very realistic.

Have you done many Rackham figures before? Perhaps you could share these with us as your other fantasy figure was also great. keep up the good work mate.

Franco
  20. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Thanks Franco....

That was actually my first Rackham figure - I'd always been afraid to tackle them due to their high level of detail until I thought I was good enough to do them justice - but I thought 'what the hell'... I'm not going to learn until I jump in and start painting them.

I haven't been in any Oz painters forum - wasn't aware there was one... If you could direct me that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Adam.