1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Italian Bersaglieri, 1915

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Jun 19, 2016.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

Ive been enjoying my solitary day today and have made some progress on this one. I acquired this recently and have always liked it ever since I saw it in MM donkey's years ago, but I could never quite get to grips with the slightly caricatured appearance of the original, so I set about it with a saw!

I have replaced the head and boots with some from Steve Readdie that I had in my bits box and have sliced the figure at the waist and inserted a wire armature to bring the overall height up to the full 75mm, then resculpted the fillet and the front of the torso, as I felt it looked a little hollow-chested (IMO). The bottom of the trousers were also resculpted to blend them in and I added rolled socks to disguise the joint. The face had a moustache, hair and chinstrap added.

As you can probably tell, too, I have tried to reposition the figure, but am finding the kit base a bit limiting, so I am probably going to dispense with it and also the kit border sign, as they are a little basic in detail, but I want to keep the essence of the original pose. A new left hand will also be added.

The pack and waterbottle have cleaned up well and I have also sectioned and reduced the rifle to scale, as this was way oversize. I have added a new collar to the tunic and will add the collar tabs and stars, too, in time.

Thanks for looking in, I hope its not too sacrilegious cutting this up!!

Steve(y)

Attached Files:

Mike Stevens, arj, Grod and 6 others like this.
  2. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great job!
    Another great figure by Valiant, and above all about the Great War!
    It's great to honor these Italian soldiers too often forgotten.
    [IMG]
    Many think that these soldiers were "bad".
    A huge mistake, this was perhaps the toughest front in the Great War.
    Italian soldiers have never demerits, by against their generals were not the best.
    Discipline was the hardest of the allied troops.
    And it is with great courage these soldiers fought.
    The Bersagliere as the "Alpini" were elite troops, (and still are).

[IMG]
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    XXI°C Bersaglieri :
    [IMG][IMG]
    A what about a bust ? Nap ?
    [IMG]
    yeo_64, Dan Morton, Oda and 3 others like this.
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the kind words and references - very useful(y)
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    valiant likes this.
  5. Oda A Fixture

This will be awesome when finished.

Oda.
    valiant likes this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm following too and it looks great so far.
    Here are some refs. from my collection which might be of interest.

ital_unifs_color1.jpg Picture 477.jpg TRANS_bersaglieri_of_1915.gif Italian MG up a tree.jpeg
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work again Steve.

Paul.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Great subject Steve ...Julian Bennasi figure

Also did a couple of other Italian WW1 figures

Nap

image.png
    valiant and Zastrow.cuirassier like this.
  9. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    There's some very interesting figures concerning WWI Italian Soldier :
    ROMEO, AMIS
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]

MMA
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

Metal Modeles
    [IMG][IMG]

Italian Kits
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

And it is not and exhaustive list !
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again for all the amazing references, guys - just goes to show what a great forum this is!

Yes, Nap, it started life as a Benassi. As the kit is now showing its age regarding some of the details, I thought I would try to "update" it a bit, with some new parts and a bit of putty! I certainly don't want to stray too far from the original concept, though, as it was that bit I always liked, especially as we visited that area a couple of years ago when we went to Italy.

I am currently making a new base and plinth for this, so I will post more pics as it progresses.

Cheers all(y)
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Steve,

Like you always liked the piece looking forward to seeing more

Following on from zc's post found these busts ...at the Athens show

Nap

image.jpeg
    valiant and billyturnip like this.
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like another very nice conversion.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  13. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Folks,

Here are some more pics of my Bersaglieri that Im working on. Ive re made the border sign from dowel, with a plasticard disc fastened to thin wood strip and with bolts made from pins. I have slightly repositioned the figures left hand, but need to resculpt the detail, repositioned the pickaxe so it looks more balanced. Because I have made the figure taller, the pick didnt reach the ground! I have also extended the original base, so that I can put the rifle with the pack and waterbottle on the ground, as I figured that I would not like to wield a pick with a slung rifle! I have had to cut and section the rifle as it was way too long and the sling has been removed to allow for final repositioning when painted.

Just some more small details to add, then it should be ready for painting!(y)

Attached Files:

Viking Bob and billyturnip like this.
  15. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Steve

I used to love these old Benassi figs when they came out first time 'round (Got the JB1 and 4 painted up in a box somewhere. Must dig them out soon)
    Paul
    valiant likes this.