1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Iroquois

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Eludia, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys, I'm happy that you like how he's progressing. I'm quite chuffed with progress too, I was expecting a fight but it has been relatively straight forward so far (y)

For the yellows I used a base of Yellow Ochre. I added tiny spots of purple to shade and Cad Yellow Light for highlights. For top highlights and edges I used tiny bits of Naples Yellow Hue.
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    He is looking superb.
    Eludia and anstontyke like this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Bob, I'll look forward to seeing yours when you make a start on it :)
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Last night I started on the various straps and other gubbins and noticed that there's nothing supporting his powder horn (ooo matron) so I might have to look at adding another thin strap from putty or something (or just hope nobody else notices that it appears to defying gravity). I also painted his bedroll and tidied up the yellow facings a little bit. I haven't done much tonight other than do a quick dry fit and take some photos.

DSC_3501.JPG DSC_3502.JPG DSC_3503.JPG DSC_3504.JPG DSC_3505.JPG
  5. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    As somebody who uses only acrylics, you're doing a great job so far. This is coming along very, very nicely. Can't wait to see more (y)
    Phil
    Eludia and anstontyke like this.
  6. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Phil (y)

My journey down the model continues. His breechcloth and axe are now done, the bag and powder horn are next before moving on to his leggings. I've been looking at a lot of Native American beadwork for inspiration when it comes to doing the leggings, I might do some beading on material on the side of them.

I've also been thinking of a title for the plate, "Overwatch" is my favourite at the minute but I'm open to suggestions :)

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG
    Dewi Evans, arj and anstontyke like this.
  7. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I made a start on his leggings tonight and got some base coats and basic lights and shadows on there. Also a little bit more beadwork, this time on his bag. A nice couple of hours in front of the telly.

Sorry, pics are a bit crap. My worklight is a bit harsh and using my iPad didn't help much either. He looks a little bit better in the flesh.

IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0664.JPG
    anstontyke and swralph like this.
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Billy,
    Seeing this excellent work has made me prime my own one.
    He's looking ace.
    Its great to see the pictures and painting coming together and great information too.
    Following with interest.
    Gells
    anstontyke and Eludia like this.
  10. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Grant (y)

I hope you'll post some pics of your version, I know you'll do a much better job. It's a lovely model but it needs a bit of fettling and putty work to get a good fit to the tree. It's a joy to paint though, I'm particularly enjoying playing about with different patterns for the beadwork.
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    More beadwork :)

I don't want to jinx anything but I'm beginning to think that I might even get this finished in time for the comp. Now I've said it you just know everything's gonna go to rats**t now :)

IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0667.JPG
    anstontyke, Dewi Evans, arj and 2 others like this.
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's looking very good.
    Don't be so pessimistic. Last time I looked, Messrs Sod and Murphy were lurking around my bench.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  13. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Primed the musket tonight so I'll be concentrating on that for the next few days. Also did another dry fit to check how the model's coming along overall. The photos are slightly better this time, while I was in the shed I decided to get my proper camera out. I'm not used to models this size, my backgrounds etc. are all set up for smaller pieces so I'm finding him a challenge to photograph.

DSC_3518.JPG DSC_3519.JPG DSC_3520.JPG DSC_3521.JPG DSC_3522.JPG DSC_3523.JPG DSC_3524.JPG

Comments and critique are always welcome :)
    anstontyke, Gellso and Dewi Evans like this.
  14. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks great Billy I like the patterns and colours on the leggings.
    I've seen a few of these in bright scarlet and am convinced
    you are the one with the correct jacket red tones.

I am not sure about the yellow though I think it's a little too intense.

Hope you enjoy him to the end.

Paul
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Paul, I was thinking of toning the yellow down a bit with some glazes. I suppose they would be using natural dyes around that period (the first synthetic dye wasn't invented till 1856) so maybe something a bit more ochre-ish would be more appropriate. I read somewhere that Madder root was used to dye the British redcoats which is why I went for the slightly muted brown-red for the jacket.

How was Telford mate?
    anstontyke likes this.
  16. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jeez Billy,
    That beadwork is an absolute stand out for me....totally worth the extra effort.
    The green loincloth part with the pattern is also a nice touch.
    I'd agree with Peedee and maybe mute the leggings. Am I correct in assuming these are buckskins?
    Really nice to see this painted so well and has been inspiring for me.
    Gells
  17. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You're making me blush Grant ;)

I think Paul was referring to the yellow coat facings which I agree are a bit too intense. Admittedly the yellow looks a bit more muted in the flesh (when you get rid of the bright lights I was using to take the photos). If I get some decent natural light at the weekend then I'll try to get some better photos.

p.s. I just spotted that you've started yours, it'll be nice to see a different take on it. I haven't seen many of these painted up (none in fact). I much prefer to see what other people can do with a model before I start it, then I can steal all the best bits ;)
    anstontyke and Gellso like this.
  18. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Very, very nice work Billy!

I agree with Gells about the beadwork in particular, that is bloody top notch.

Excellent!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  19. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Jeff, I'm glad you like him (y)

I've got a little bit more beadwork to do on the moccasins but that will have to wait till he's mounted properly on the tree. I'll need to do a bit of putty work at that point to bring everything together and I don't want to risk trashing the paintwork too much.

Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of his brass appendage at some point this weekend.
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A very quick update. The initial work is done on his hands and musket, it's almost time to start glueing and filling :)

IMG_0675.JPG

Edit: I think I might have snapped a bit off the butt of the musket early on in the project (probably within minutes of opening the box, as usual).
    anstontyke, arj and Dewi Evans like this.