1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Iron Brigade bust, Forlorn Hope

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Tony!

I send You a few pics of reeanactors of the Irion Brigade and a picture of an Iron-Brigade-Figure.

Hope that will help You!

Greetings

Attached Files:

2. Mark S Guest

Tony,it looks great,mate.
    I'm amazed you've got so much done and still had time to nip over to Paris to watch the Wallabies.
    Well done beautifully painted so far.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Matthew, John, Martin and Mark,

Thank you guys, I appreciate you taking the time to post your kind comments.

Martin, thank you for posting the pics of Iron Brigade re-enactors. I found many of the same pics by searching Google Images and saved a few of them to my hard drive for reference.
  4. Hardy Guest

Looking great Tony. Hardy
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Finished

Thanks very much Hardy.

Here are the final pics of my bust.:)

I hope you all like him.

Comments welcome.

Attached Files:

6. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Very Good Progression

You still in the purple patch, Tony?!

Hes evolving nicely. I like the way you have treated the head wound, too often people add way too much red, where as yours has more muted tones, with a 'soak into gauze effect'. How did you achive that, by the way?

I know he's only part way along, looking forward to seeing him get 'weatherd and dirty'

cheers
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks very much for your comments. Yep, purple as mate.

Actually, I've finished this bust! Do you think he needs more work???

The blood stain on the bandage was done by dropping very dilute drops of Leather Red and Flat Red onto the bandage and then building it up gradually. As the droplets dry out, they leave a ring of paint at the edges. I added some Raw Umber to darken the mix to give the impression that the blood had dried and congealed.
  8. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Aww nuts, vanilla flavoured shoes again...

Cough, hack, spit, cough cough.....

me spiting out my foot from my mouth.

OK; is he finished, yes.
    Is he up to Tony's usual high standards (done in an amazingly short amount of time), yes.
    Is there more then a better chance that camera, net requirements and digital interface settings are different, and throwing off my perception? bet your sweet ass!!
    Does it look far different "in the Flesh"; Big green tick!

So, having got that out of the way, I like the piece, realistic finish, attention to details, overall, well done.

Do I think he needs more work?
    Sigh, Tony, truth be told, I could examine and re-examine the figure another 15 times, hem & haw on that thought.

long pause as I try and get various bits of my brain to stop arguing....

Where he is at, finished. Can I think of any improvements? Nope. What is probably throwing me off is he's posted larger then actual size, camera flash has washed out some (most) of the fine shading details.

Only one thing I can think off, with the thought of the above, is that the digital pictures seem to rob him of eye expression. Just appear very dark. A minor quibble, really. Give me a few days to refresh my head, and come back to it.

As for the in progress remark, see opening sentence!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

PS; after 10 minutes, cant fault it. As you were, carry on!
  9. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Very nicely painted :)

Like usual (from what i noticed) you did this very quickly but with quality.

I need to come onto the planet more often.
    Daniel
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Jamie and Daniel,

Thanks for your comments fellas.
  11. Mark S Guest

Terrific result, Tony.
    Great work on the flesh I reckon.
    The only other point I could make is that the blanket roll could do with some more shading and lights on the creases,but it may be that the pics don't show them very well.
    Another nice bust,mate.

P.S-Jamie keep taking the pills until the doctor says otherwise.OK!
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mark,

Yeah, you're right mate. A bit more contrast on the bed roll would probably make it look better.

Don't be too hard on Jamie. He lives on the map of Tasmania;););)
  13. crabmariner New Member

Australia
    Tony, it looks fantastic ,David would be proud
    Louise ( Davids Wife)
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The piping around the collar looks too wide, but that's more of a sculptor's problem. It's more of a nit pick, so value it accordingly. Here's the only other thing. I'm not sure why the photo came out so wonky. ~Gary

Attached Files:

15. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very nice work Tony and fast.

David
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Louise,

Thank you so much for posting your kind comment.

I never met Dave, however everyone I know in the modelling world who knew him said he was a real gentleman and a great bloke with a big heart.

He was also a talented artist who left behind a wonderful legacy for other modellers to enjoy. I hope you're doing OK. My best wishes to you and your family.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Gary and David
  18. ralpht New Member

United-States
    Uniform colors

The basic uniform was a blue black which rapidly faded out to flatter lighter blue. since he is in field dress, a faded blue would be more appropriate. Union leather was black with a varnish over lay which glinted and with heavy use started to crack. Infantry chevrons would be a powder or carolina blue. Buttons were brass, polished for parade but in this case should have some discoloration from exposue in the field. Civil war participants on both side lived in what they wore with little ability to keep the uniforms in full parade trim. concientious re enactors are careful not to clean their uniforms to frequently to maintain the lived in look.

Just a note from a fanatic on the ACW,
  19. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony,I have just seen your version of David Ridley's wonderful sculpt.Tony, did you have the box art to work from?Just asking because the dark blue tunic is shown here and the black domes rather than the brass ones on the shoulder straps of the back pack.Anyway, I like your version Tony,and Dave would of been proud to see another one of his sculpts painted.I certainly miss talking with Dave and painting the box art for his latest works,he was always so passionate about his work.Again great to see another of Daves sculpts painted.

Kind regards, John.:)
  20. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello Tony

Great paintjob, like allways!

Regards from Portugal
    Pedro