1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Iron Brigade bust, Forlorn Hope

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the first pics of a new bust I'm working on. It's a 1/9th scale bust of an Iron Brigade sergeant brilliantly sculpted by the late, great David Ridley of Forlorn Hope Miniatures, who sadly passed away earlier this year and was generously given to me by my great mate Alan Mackie.

I'm not an ACW expert and need some help from Planeteers on getting the uniform colours right. This is actually my very first ACW figure:eek:

Can anyone advise me on a good mix of colours, in Vallejo acrylics, for Union Blue? I've base coated him in a mix of Prussian Blue and Oxford Blue.

What colour is the belt with the eagle? Are the buttons brass or gold?

The face has been base coated and shadows added. I haven't done the highlights yet or any blending. Still very early days.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks good even in the first steps!
    chris
  3. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Buttons..

Hi Tony,
    I am guessing you are asking about the "colour" of the buttons, rather then the materials.

I haven t posted the pics yet, but for my "China Lady" some of her fittings for her necklace, earrings etc I gave a base coat of GW Gold, the and highlight of GW shining gold, then gave a wash with GW brown ink, to help cut the shine, and add some depth to the details. Seemed to work ok, I'm sure that others will chime in with their opinions and broader experience

The gold references I don't have to hand, but they do come in shades that I did on a test card so I have references for shadow, base, highlight.

Having said all that, I'll be trying the Vallejo range soon.

cheers to the Figure Factory
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Christos and Jamie,

Actually Jamie I wanted to know if the buttons and metal fixtures on the uniform were made of brass or some other metal.
  5. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Slightly red faced!

Hi Tony,
    thought you'd hire out ACW movies like "Glory" or "Gettysburg". I know, Hollyweird, but a start at least.

Ah, the sound of massed black powder rifles.....

cheers
  6. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great start Tony! Your a machine!

Marcel.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent start.

Marc
  8. specmod Active Member

Australia
    Gidday Tony, great work as usual, man you pump em out.
    Cheers Andrew
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great so far Tony
  10. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    A great start.
    I'm looking forward to completion!!!!
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you Jamie, Marcel,Marc, Andrew and Guy,

Yes, I'm a modelling fool.:eek: I'm in the middle of a "purple patch" at the moment, where my creative juices are flowing. Sometimes I can go weeks without even walking into my hobby room, and other times (like now) I never leave it.:D:D:D

Here are the latest progress pics. The base coating is now done, and I'll start work on shadows and highlights tomorrow.

Attached Files:

12. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    Google > Images > Iron Brigade
    :)
  13. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Tony,

To answer your questions.

The leather belts, straps and pack, including the cross belt with the eagle belt badge were black. The thin strap overlaying the larger black cross belt over the right shoulder could be white or grey colour. It is the canteen strap.

Buttons were brass.

I think the blue could be a darker shade, although remember sunlight could have faded the jacket. The source books I have just refer to the jacket as dark blue and colour illustrations show various tones of dark blue, including the one you have which is at the lighter end of the scale.

Cheers
    Chris
  14. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Sorry Tony, didn't see your last post before replying.

Cheers
    Chris
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Chris,

That's very helpful information. I'll try to darken the blue colour a little.
  16. theseeker Member

United-States
    Tony,

Brilliant as usual!

Rocky
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rocky,

You're too generous mate.

It's still a work in progress, but I've made some more progress with highlighting and shading.

I've darkened the blue of the tunic. Hope it's not too dark now.

Criticism/ comments welcome.

Attached Files:

18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've done a bit more work on this bust over the weekend (in between watching the Wallabies beat the French in Paris:D:D:D).

I've tried to make the blood stained bandage on his head look realistic without going to over the top.

Still more to do on the knapsack and bedroll, and some highlighting to be done on the leather straps and chevrons.

Hope you like.

Attached Files:

19. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tony, WRT the bandage, as someone that deals with bloody bandages daily (long story but no I'm not in the medical field), that looks pretty accurate.
  20. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Looking very good so far and nicely done.
    Cheers
    John