1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Iron Brigade at Chancellorville 1863

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Sep 13, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all,

We had a bloody hot last few weeks here in Toronto and it has kept me off the bench. Finally got this one finished this weekend. A 75mm offering from H&V painted with Scale75 and Vallejo acrylics. The WIP can be found here http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/19th-indiana-volunteers-75mm-h-v.72447/.

The base is another chunk of Icestorm Locust from my yard. I did the groundwork to represent the forest and scrubland around Chancellorville where the Confederates attacked Union troops with a wide flanking move by Jackson.

Our Cpl. of the 19th Indiana regiment is standing firm, waiting for the Rebs to hit his section of the Union line.
    DSC02073.JPG DSC02075.JPG DSC02076.JPG DSC02077.JPG DSC02078.JPG DSC02079.JPG DSC02080.JPG
    As always, I look forward to any comments or critiques I can apply to my next work... Thanx in advance.

Thank you all for looking in.

Colin

Attached Files:

stoffy01, Aveleira, NickM and 17 others like this.
  2. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Nice...! You caught the deepness of the frock coat really well. Like the groundwork as well - very "Zeno-esque" ;)

Cheers,
    Brian
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Wow, thanks Brian... I don't think higher praise could be given than to compare my groundwork to Zeno's... whether I'm there yet or not. I was going for the extremely dense and tangled undergrowth as I've read that area described as, at that time. Apparently, in 1860 or '61, a forest fire in the area burned up the old growth trees... by the time of the battle, it was mostly scrub and new growth that tends to be denser at ground level than well established forest... well, that's what I read anyway :unsure:

Thanx again Brian, much appreciated for a painter like yourself.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx a bunch Ian... I'm getting ready for the Zouave pair ;)

Colin
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That's looking great Colin. Awesome staging of a fine figure.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Colin, your support is always greatly appreciated. Along with the bust I started last night, I started another vignette that's waaaaay out of my comfort zone.

Colin
  8. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb job Colin, I love the groundwork (y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That is really nice work Colin.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You have got the blue's perfect, great tone. A great figure and the painting is top notch. Superb.

regards

Bob
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. chailey Active Member

England
    I love this figure, very atmospheric.

Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Very nice mate, one of your best pieces to date.
    cheers
    Richie
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. swralph A Fixture

Great work all round Colin,the blue's are real nice.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work all around.

Marc
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent work, Colin! The integration of the figure. groundwork and base is outstanding. Lovely display! (y)
    Very nice atmosphere!
    Congrats my brother! Very, very well done!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Colin,
    Very well done and thanks for the history that goes behind it.
    Cheers
    John
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. mark126804 Active Member

United-States
    Colin, Beautiful work. The groundwork is exceptional. Ive wanted that figure for a while, think Ill pick one up.

Mark
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx everyone for the kind words and support. It was a fun piece to work on... excellent sculpt, great fit and it almost painted itself... least it would have if I hadn't stuck my ham fists in there to muck it up :unsure:
    Groundwork was just a matter of getting the deep tobacco colour to the soil then jamming as much vegetation and ground litter on that square of dirt.

As for the battle itself, it makes for great reading... a smaller Confederate force out maneuvered and out fought a much lager Union force led by over cautious and uncooperative generals. Unfortunately for the Rebels, in the course of this victory, they lost one of their most able generals and loved leaders when Gen. Jackson was shot by friendly pickets while scouting their position. He died two days later. His loss was felt by Lee and the army and it's believed that Gettysburg may have gone differently if Jackson was present.

Thanx again for the comments guys... much appreciated

Colin
  20. Ferris A Fixture

That looks great Colin, both figure and groundwork, although I have difficulty seeing things clearly. I think the pictures are really too dark; one or two stops lighter would be better, for my eyes at least!
    Thanks for the bits of history.

Cheers
    Adrian