1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Iron Brigade - 19th Indiana - 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tiberius57, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Assume both, Colin - regardless of which option Zeno picks, I'm sure there will be pFers that will want to try the other way!
    tiberius57 likes this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I will go with the dusty look but, as Don said, the pristine blue is a variant. In fact, I think is the starting point.
    Thanks guys and I'm looking forward for your help.
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    Don Johnson likes this.
  3. swralph A Fixture

4. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Super nice start on this figure. One of the best painted faces I've seen on this figure.
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Work goes slow on this piece. Here is some progress.
    I used acrylics for everything except some parts on the face were I used oils.
    Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    Cheers,

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Wings5797, debrito, crf and 1 other person like this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Good progress Zeno. The leather equipment looks especially good.
    Without nitpicking, the blue of the tunic might be a little light. In life it's such a dark blue it's appears nearly black. This blue is a bit bright... maybe some dark blue filters might tone it down.

Just my two cents worth of nothing ;)

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  7. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks a lot Colin! (y)
    Yes, that blue needs a "massage". I agree. Let me see what I can do to bring it down to a black/blue without loosing the transition.
    Cheers mate!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Zeno!

I must agree with Colin, the blue must be a darker!
    A tip, don't use much of than light blue. Use a mix of blue and black to turn it dark. To highlights use white.
    You can use some medium blue to make some lights more blueish...
    I never painted that uniform, but that what I use to dark blues...French, English, American...

Regards
    Pedro
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks a lot Pedro! (y)
    I'll try to filter down the blue with a diluted mixture of black and blue. I'll see what's happening with the transitions and the highlights and take it from there. If it doesn't work I'll take it from the beginning.
    Cheers,
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Zeno!
    I like the result in high points, looks worn:cool: . Try to clear the shadow areas a little with a intermediate blue mix with base shadows.
    Keep the good work!

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    tiberius57 likes this.
  11. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro! Much appreciated! (y)
    Still I think that the overall tone is to light. I'll try to tone it down and keep the high points worn effect.
    It is my first so some trial and error is expected. I'll try to solve it.
    Cheers,
    ChaosCossack and pmfs like this.
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

No problem ;)
    I've seen you previous work and your painting is very good. I think you just aren't comfortable enough with this tone of blue. One is always learning!
    Be carefull with the deluted mix...can turn glossy!
    There is a nice video on youtube of dave youngquist (from Last Cavalry) painting this uniform with Andrea Painting set....it might be usefull ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    tiberius57 likes this.
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro for assisting me! Yes, I'm not too comfortable. It is my first one. I painted blue before but not so dark and at smaller scale. It is my first blue at 75mm.
    Oh well... it turned glossy, but I'm not so concerned. Dull cote at the end and it will solve the issue. Now I'm trying to figure out how much highlights are required.
    Here it is and any suggestions are very welcome.

[IMG][IMG][IMG]
  14. John Ballard Well-Known Member

I think a few more highlights could be applied. I would suggest, Prussian Blue plus Paynes Grey lightened to taste with a flesh pink. This should produce a cool neutral blue that will contrast nicely with the more vivid pale Pthalo blue of the piping and stripes.

John
    tiberius57 likes this.
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Much better Zeno!
    I agree with John and the Pedros... Maybe just touch the tops of the wrinkles to bring them out. You might want to bring up the skirts a bit too... right now the skirts are much darker than the rest of the jacket.

This is a hard blue to get a handle on, but once you do, I find it one of the easiest colours to work... could be because I use a variation of it on at least 90% of my figs. Definitely the most used colour in the 19th century ;) If you look to my Zouve and French infantryman 1870, that's pretty close to what you're looking for...

Base- Dark Prussian Blue + Black
    Highlight 1- Base + DPB + Sky Grey + a touch of English Uniform
    Highlight 2- HL1 + DPB + Sky Grey
    Highlight 3- HL2 + Sky Grey
    Shadow- Base + Black + a touch of English Uniform
    Shadow 2- S1 + Black
    Deep Shadow (edging, around equipment, buttons etc)- Black wash

It might be too late for this, but there's always next time :sneaky:

Carry on

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Can't help much with oils Zeno. I think you are tracking nicely on this piece. I will keep looking in on him.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  17. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Zeno,

It's looking better ;). I believe that a little more lights are needed. Go with a mix of dark blue and white or flesh.
    tiberius57 likes this.
  18. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks a lot for your help guys! (y)
    Gold nuggets, no joke! Hope that my execution will be at least at the level of your help.
    Cheers and I'll keep you updated.
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I found on YouTube a very, very nice painting tutorial on this miniature. Fantastic painting demonstration by Mr. Ben Komets.
    It's only Part 1, but I'm confident that Part 2 will be released soon.
    It's to late for me but for those of you thinking to paint this awesome figure it is a great reference material.
    Here it is:

Cheers,
    Joe55 likes this.
  20. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I made some progress. Still needs some touching here in there but basically the torso is done. Pants will follow.
    Here it is.
    Let me know your thoughts and your great feedback is much appreciated!
    Cheers,

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Martin64, ChaosCossack and crf like this.