1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Irish Zouave- face

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, May 30, 2005.

1. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi guys. Here are a few shots of the nearly completed face of the Irish zouave. I tried to achieve a battle hardened, weather beaten face. Please tell me if I succeeded

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Stephen Mallia
  2. Calvin Member

Stephen, good painting and superb blending, even if at such size the pictures tends to 'pixelate' and to flat the tones.
    Take a look at the same (but resized) picture, which in my opinion highlights your work. Really attractive, are you using acrilics, I suppose.
    Ciao, Luca

Attached Files:

3. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Luca , you're very right. When you enlarge the pictures you tend to see some brush marks here and there but in lifesize none is visible. In fact I take pictures and enlarge them to check for any flaws. Then I go correct if any are found.
    Yes I am using acrylics, both vallejo and Andrea

Stephen Mallia
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Your face looks exactly the way you described it :) great work buddy.
  5. nagashino New Member

Hi Steve

Excellent work, especially as it stands up very well to magnification. It will look even better when the kepi and neck curtain are finished and "frame" it.

I like the idea of using your digital camera as a third eye

Whose head? Don't recognise it.

Cheers

Phil
  6. Calvin Member

this is a surgical work, not for humans..., but the result you reach is impressive.
    Instead of enlarge them, have you ever used the super macro function ? Also, if you like such 'surgery', when loading the pict try to use the 'contrast' filter to emphasize the details.
    Take a look at your picture when applying the contrast filter and mask. There are not so much painted figures which will tolerate this treatment withour loosing its charm. Your is simply enchanting.
    Moreover, the last filter (contrast mask) can be used (by us, humans...) to see how and in which direction the lights must be applied.

Attached Files:

7. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Phil , thanks. The head is from Shenandoah.

Luca, that is awesome. I will definately experiment a little. I'm surely no expert but it's worth experimenting to get better results. thanks for the info

Stephen Mallia
  8. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Psssssst................is it ready :angry: trying (IN VAIN) to get mine ready before yours :lol:

Keep it up mate..........looking very goooooooood!

Ray ;)
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Stephen, very nice, I like the way you painted the face, looks very realistic. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Roc. :)
  10. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Roc, thanks.

Ray, it will in a couple of days. Just the weapon and havelock to paint

Stephen Mallia
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen - Looks wonderful to me! You're bang on the money, if you ask me.

Luca - What a great suggestion!! I'm eager to try it. But I'm not sure my meager skills as a painter will allow me to make max use of your technique. I'll try it on my current figure and see.

all the best,
    Dan
  12. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Grrrrrrrrr :angry:

Ray :lol: ;)