1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Iraqi Army helmet

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Pete_H, May 1, 2004.

1. Pete_H New Member

I promised pictures a few days ago, so here you go. I guess I needed something to do while watching acrylic undercoats dry :) Since I don't know how to post multiple pictures in one message, I'll post one picture in each.

The first is the front of the helmet. Note the similarity to the M1 "steel pot" helmet. However, there are some noticeable differences. The WWII-era steel pot was "taller" - i.e the top of the helmet peaked a lot higher (even higher than the Vietnam-era steel pot). Even the Vietnam-era steel pot was taller than this one (I've got an airborne-issue Vietnam-era steel pot here as well).

Also, note the rivets protruding onto the surface. These secure the inner webbing to the helmet, much like the M1's liner does. This leads to the perception that perhaps this helmet is nothing more than a much thicker version of the M1 liner (it's even made out of fiberglass, just like the M1 liner).

P.S - I should've placed this in the "uniformology" forum, but it's not allowing me to post pictures (the "file attachments" option doesn't appear at the bottom of the window).

Attached Files:

2. Pete_H New Member

Okay, here's the left side of the helmet. Again, note the rivets. This view will offer a better idea of what I mean by how "tall" the helmet is - definitely shorter than any M1 steel pot (if you'd like, I can post a side-by-side pic of this helmet next to the Vietnam-era steel pot).

Attached Files:

3. Pete_H New Member

And now for something ... completely different: a rear view of the helmet. Note the thickness of the helmet's edge; the M1 liner's thickness is much thinner compared to this helmet. I wonder how much protection would this "plastic skullcap" really provide? I don't watn to find out ;)

Attached Files:

4. Pete_H New Member

Okay, and now for the inside of the helmet. Note the head support webbing. It almost looks like an exact replica of that found in the M1 steel pot.

Attached Files:

5. Pete_H New Member

Here you've got a close-up of the swivel ring to which the chinstrap is attached. Again, very similar to that of the steel pot helmet.

Attached Files:

6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    thanks for the great info!

any dimensions?
    what about using KitPic?
  7. Pete_H New Member

Okay, and now for the last one - the chinstrap clasp. Again, similar to that of the WWII-era M1 helmet. I also found it interesting that I was able to link it across the backside of the helmet, much like it was done by GI's & Marines in the field.

If anybody would like close-up pictures of any specific part of the helmet, just say the word and I'll email them to you.

Gordy, please let me know how I can post pictures in the uniformology thread. I did not see the "file attachments" option at the bottom of the window (like I see in this thread).

Attached Files:

8. Pete_H New Member

Holy crap, Gordy!!! Talk about a "fast reply." I'll take some crude measurements tomorrow; I've "retooled" my workbench from "photography" to "painting." What exactly do you need?
  9. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    here's the vader style one (missing the badge on the side) it's pretty bizzare, it is made of fibre-glass as well

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. fsdesimone Member

Heh, more than an actual Vader helmet, what it really looks like is the helmet Gonzo wore on The Muppets Show when they spoofed Star Wars. :)

Francesca
  11. Pete_H New Member

Hey, you're right! Or perhaps it's part of Gordy's "Dark Helmet" costume? :lol: