1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Intombe Drift resilience.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Having done nothing really so far this year, I decided to pick up the tools again today. (Roger gave me a motivational kick in the pants at last night's club meet, thanks mate(y) ) This is a figure I have had on my to do list for a long time and once I saw Mitches 200mm 24th figure I new I had what I needed for a quick conversion.
    This figure has only been done once to my knowledge and excellently portrayed by Steve Leadley in bust form of one of his local Staffordshire heroes.

Therefore this figure is going to represent Sergeant Anthony Booth 80th (Staffordshire Volunteer's) Regiment and winner of the Victoria Cross for his resilient action at Intombe Drift 12th March 1879.

Intombe Drift
    Intombe Drift.jpg
    was another Zulu victory just 49 days after the disaster at Isandlwana and showed again the Zulu's were a formidable force. The convoy lost all it's supplies and ammunition to the Zulu's and a number of men including it's Commanding Officer Captain David Moriarty.i

Captain-David-Moriarty.jpg
    It's second in command Lieutenant Henry Harward
    Lieutenant-Henry-Harward.jpg
    fled on horse back towards Luneberg abandoning his men, an action he was lucky to escape charges on, but his military career was over after this incident and he resigned his commission the following year.
    This left Sergeant Anthony Booth
    Sergeant-Anthony-Booth.jpg
    to rally the remaining 43 men on the Luneberg side of the river. Although pursued for over three miles by hundreds of Zulu's he remained calm and steadied his men fighting a retreating rear guard action using volley fire to stop and disperse the advancing Zulu's. For this action he was awarded the Victoria Cross and promoted to Colour Sergeant.

I have changed the collar by removing the collar tabs and adding the Staffordshire knot. I removed the crown above the Sgt. stripes and altered the cuff detail as per Booth tunic whose photo was kindly provided by Steve Leadley.
    80th staffs tunic Sgt Booth.jpg
    I then added the 80th numbers to the epaulettes. I have also replaced the Martini Henry with one from Reedees Miniatures. I have also remodelled the face some what but may tweak this again.
    cheers
    Richie

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great to see you motivated and cracking on with this Richie.
    The background info is very interesting too, thanks for taking the time to include that. (y)
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    mil-mart, anstontyke and Richie like this.
  4. mick3272 A Fixture

This looks like one to watch,
    Will be watching this.
    Good luck with this one.
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    thought you'd emigrated (y)
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    They sent him back Brian. :playful:
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Been banished to the Banana Republic:playful::woot: but now I'm back. uSuthu, Usuthu, uSuthu.
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger, Steve, Mick & Brian,
    Thank you lads, 6 months away from the bench is a long, long time. Just happy to be doing something again and thank you for looking in.(y) I know this one is close to Steve's heart, I hope I can do you credit mate on one of your local heroes.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Dewi Evans Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,

Great to see you at your bench once again Richie, good luck with this one mate.

Great "Zulu War" minds think alike as they say, because I have a project with Sergeant Booth in mind as well (y)(y), but not using the MMM figure though.
    anstontyke, Richie and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I have liked this figure since being released, will look forward to seeing this one being painted
    anstontyke and Richie like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Richie

Welcome back mate ...keep peeling those bananna's ...

Great background and subject matter

Following this with interest

Nap
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richie, great background info and neat work on the conversion work. Following.(y)

Cheers Ken
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Dewi,
    Thanks for looking mate.(y) I know you purchased this kit the same time as me, so are you doing a 120mm version of Booth? Just between you and me I have another project or three on drawing bench, but that's for later.
    cheers
    Richie
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Bob,
    It is an impressive big piece, I decided to start this one after seeing a couple of 200mm figures Harry completed at our club meet on Friday.

Better go and find me brushes.
    cheers
    Richie
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nap,
    I forgot to mention this has legs:D, glad you like the background, there are many battles relating to this period not just Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift.
    cheers
    Richie
    SAB1.jpg
    Nap, Oda, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Ken,
    Hello mate and welcome. Just a snippet on the background, hope it encourages a few to go off and read the rest. Pretty easy to convert this one and no swearing involved.
    Will leave cleaning up the legs and equipment for now and start blocking in the top half, I have some new paints I want to try.
    cheers
    Richie
    mil-mart and anstontyke like this.
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    What's next Richie ? A vignette of Mboto Gorge perhaps?
    Steve
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: have you got that telescope out again and looking through my bedroom window to see what projects I'm doing. Now I'm off to sharpen the kiwi fruit.
    anstontyke, napoleonpeart and Helm like this.
  19. Dewi Evans Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,
    It is going to be a 200 mm, but I'm waiting for the source figure to arrive! The MMM 24th figure is a WIP at the moment.
    I look forward as ever to see your other projects in due course, good luck. :)
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Dewi,
    I'm intrigued now to see what you will use. Keep us posted.
    cheers
    Richie
    anstontyke likes this.