1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Interest in 1/16 busts?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by ausf, Feb 21, 2017.

1. ausf Active Member

United-States
    I've been running resin all weekend on 1/16 heads for the RC tanker market.

I sculpted the masters as busts, these were copied from the original masters to offer just heads since a bust wouldn't fit in a cupola and I'm not going down that road of a full figure.

So, I'm asking if you guys think there would be interest in a chest and shoulders bust of these guys. I'm not asking for a commitment or if you would want one, but you guys know the figure market, I don't.

otc1.jpg otc2.jpg gtc1.jpg gtc2.jpg
    Forté and Richie like this.
  2. custer760 Well-Known Member

Already been done and very excellently by Mitches Military Miniatures
    Regards
    Pete
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    @ Pete: You're right, already done my MMM but in a larger scale. This guy is doing them in 1/16. From what I've seen, the market for busts in 1/16 is still relatively small - but growing.

- Steve
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

I agree with Steve the 1/16th bust market is growing but not that large at the moment , as for these pieces all credit to the sculptor but personally I feel the market is not out there for these.

Be nice to see more from the sculptor but on a different subject , I would sggestion he looks at what has been released so as not to duplicate subjects

Nap
  6. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Gents, that solves it.

Nap, I'm the sculptor. They were done on request for the RC tank market. In general, the figures available for them are really hideous, more akin to a child's action figure. Since these were a likeness, I put a little more work than that market necessitates. They paint well, so I was curious if there was a market. No worries at all.

I was thinking about doing a series of film based stuff in pairs, like Poole and Bowman in the lip reading scene from 2001, or Sellers and Scott from Dr Stranglove, but if 1/16 isn't really accepted, no need to chase my tail.

The Karl head above is easily adaptable to an old existing Tamiya styrene kit, so I'll just leave it at that:

tamfig5.jpg

Here's a comparison to the kit provided head:

tamfig3.jpg

Of course, these things are well below the skill of the members here, but for the average modeler who wants to get into figure painting, it's an affordable entry.
  7. ausf Active Member

United-States
    I'm open to any suggestions too, regarding scale, subject or anything.

My reference library skews heavily towards WWII (which is overdone IMO), so I'm willing to look at anything out there.
  8. custer760 Well-Known Member

The sculpting skills you have put into those heads is really Excellent,I cannot fault your artwork,its just that I wanted to alert you to the fact that they have already been done as busts.On the other Hand,there are painters buying Pegaso Models 90mm busts,which are just cut down from their full figure range,so maybe youre idea might work.Best of luck to you,you certainly have lots of Talent.
    Regards
    Pete
  9. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Hey Pete,
    Thanks for your input and kind words. I in no way offended or disappointed with your opinion, it's exactly what I need/want. I'm not knowledgeable in the figure market and didn't even know there was a version of these, regardless of how they compare.

With technology exploding regarding scanning etc, I think it won't be long before most masters are at least started that way, especially with recent results. As long as they can find a reenactor, they can make a pretty good product.

But they can't go back 40 years and scan an actor from a movie or historical figure and fortunately, imitating is something that is very easy for me, so creating likenesses seems like a natural choice given the market, etc.

Cheers,

Jeff
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jeff,
    I think the likeness you have achieved and not easy in 1/16 scale is outstanding. If you have copies already run off why don't you price them up as a pair and put them in the markets and commissions section for general sale, you never know.
    And as you previously stated they could be interchanged on other 1/16 scale bodies.
    cheers
    Richie
  11. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Richie,

I'm pouring a fresh mold after the first short run. I don't know what the industry standard is, but I run Platinum cure and don't use release to preserve fine detail, so I like to change out the molds often.

When I'm back up to a good stock number, I'll post in the marketplace.