1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Info on ACW Zouave uniform

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by loosehead, May 22, 2013.

1. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Gentlemen
    I am putting this out there as I have hit a brick wall . I am currently working on a beautiful bust sculpted by a good mate John Belcher .... (and was thinking of something differant to the box art)
    Zouave
    sergeant of 155th Pennsylvania Inf 1864
    I have noted that the cut for the 140th New york uniform is the same but is the uniform a dark blue or a paler blue as with the 155th . (I have found conflicting sources and am getting annoyed)
    Also the sergeants chevrons what did they look like , colour of facings and background or are they the same as well
    I understand they all came together to form the same brigade so woundering if chevrons were all the same as well (Yellow facing on a red background)
    Any help would be greatly apprecated
    Thanks
    Chris
  2. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

According to Osprey's ACW Armies 2 Union Troops by Katcher and Volstad, the 155th PA had a red fez with blue tassel, a dark blue jacket and vest with yellow trim, a red edged yellow sash and dark blue trousers piped red. However, the color illustration in the same book shows a private with a blue sash trimmed in yellow and the tombeaux being plain yellow with a red cross 1st Division, V Corps insignia on the left breast. Osprey's ACW Zouaves book by Smith and Younghusband shows an illustration with a red sash trimmed in yellow of the same pattern as the 5th New York's. Troiani's illustration in his Civil War book also shows a red sash with yellow trim. None of these illustrations shows any rank chevrons, unfortunately. The last two references indicate a false vest as part of the jacket. Since all three references write of a red sash with yellow, I'd go with that and assume the first illustration was an error. Hope this helps.
    Einion likes this.
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Einion likes this.
  4. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Thanks Fellas
    It was pretty much what I was thinking sometimes you need a bit of second opinion with all that info out there
    you can't always trust it is correct
    Thanks Again
    Chris