1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed In the Studio

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Garethm, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Garethm Active Member

Right now I'm working on a recording studio diorama. It's going to be taking place at some point in the late 50s. I'm thinking 1957 or 1958. I've scratch built some recording equipment. I have Ampex 300 and 350 tape recorders, an Altec mixing board and a Pultec equalizer. I should probably make some more equipment, I'm going to be making a microphone at the very least for my recording engineer.

I'll post more about the figures at some point later.

[IMG]
    Hobbychick, Nap, Martin64 and 10 others like this.
  2. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  3. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  4. NigelR A Fixture

Very interesting. I hope someone will be recording in the studio...... Maybe Elvis?
  5. Garethm Active Member

I'm gonna say yet, but I have a fun plan for that.
    NigelR likes this.
  6. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

I love that heavy grey metal cabinetry. Very much of the period!
    Garethm likes this.
  7. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    1957? Sputnik 1!
  8. Garethm Active Member

No, this will be a musically themed scene.
  9. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great idea, and excellent start. Looking forward to see more equipment strewn about, and of course the cable spaghetti connecting it all up.
  10. Garethm Active Member

Made a bit more stuff. I wasn't really happy with my original desk so I scrapped it and replaced it with a bigger one. All the electronics are just blocks of wood clad with styrene. The thing on the bottom right hand shelf was taken from a 1:24 scale car dashboard. For the knobs and switchesI've been using everything from rivets to canteen lids.

[IMG]

I've sculpted a few figures for this scene. I (very loosely) based these two guys on Alan Freed and Morris Levy.

[IMG]

A scene like this requires a few clipboards. The clip was carved from a Sherman tank tread. The paper is a painted rolling paper.

[IMG]

I'm thinking of having this guy be like a manager or producer.
    [IMG]

I think of her as either the bored girlfriend whose been dragged along to the gig or the singer between takes.
    [IMG]
    Nap and NigelR like this.
  11. NigelR A Fixture

Looking very interesting, can't wait to see the band in there as well.......
  12. Garethm Active Member

Got a bit work work done on the recording engineer's desk today. Next up is the clipboards, ashtrays, coffee mug stains on the wood etc. I'll also be adding a microphone and another tangle of wires on top of the desk.

[IMG]
    Nap and NigelR like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gareth

Catching up a bit with things ....great idea and very original.

Is this inspired by a particular photograph perhaps

Like the way this is progressing

Following with interest

Have fun

Nap
  14. Garethm Active Member

Now that this is finished, I'll post an update.

@Nap, this was inspired by late 50s jazz album covers, particularly those designed by Jim Flora and S. Neil Fujita. Fujita's artwork is probable the best example of the effect I wanted to go for with this diorama.
    [IMG]

The idea here was to start by wondering what it would look like if those album covers were really just photos. The band was simply made from sheets of styrene that I cut into the shapes that I wanted.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Nap, Oda, NigelR and 1 other person like this.
  15. NigelR A Fixture

Crazy man! This is really cool (as they might have said in that era.......:) )
    Nap and Oda like this.
  16. Oda A Fixture

A labour of love indeed....This is what this hobby is all about:having fun and making dreams and fantasies come true.

Oda.
    Nap likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Well done for completing this , all credit to you , the finished piece looks good , liking the figures you've done

Looking forward to seeing more from your bench

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.