1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'In Memoriam' or 'In spiration'

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by peedee, May 12, 2015.

1. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey folks
    This is something I want to suggest simply because up to now no-one else seems to have done so.

Wheresoever you are right now, whoever you are that is reading this; you will know of some wonderful public art in marble, limestone, steel or bronze that honours the fallen of some conflict or other around the world and it's right next to YOU.

These are in every village, town and city of the world: without exception at some time we have all had to honour our ancestors.

Maybe it's because we walk past them en-route to work or drive by on the way to a friend , WE see them, and usually admire them with due reverence and respect, but others never get to see the one near you.

SO in this ......"Year of 100 years" ..............can I please ask you to submit a photo or two of memorials that mean something to you;
    Beauty, poignancy, admiration, inspiration, whatever.
    this should prove to be interesting, definately touching and possibly inspiring.

To start things off here are three from Liverpool
    the first is the Liverpool Newsroom memorial
    next is the Merchant Navy Memoria and third a wonderful piece in memory of Civilians killed in the Liverpool Blitzes of WW2

What can you add to this please and why?
    All contributions are welcome

thanks for reading,

Paul

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG][IMG]
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Nice idea Paul I would think you will have quite a few posts. If the idea takes off would you catalogue them into conflicts or regions or would it be a case of just scrolling through them in a thread.

Mick3272
    garyhiggins likes this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul,
    Great thread, lets hope we have a massive contribution from all around the world.(y)

Two of my personal favourites are these, the first one unfortunately not there now and was a Boer war memorial in one of Hartlepool's parks. There was also a bronze of this approx. 2' high in the museum that I used to marvel at as a kid. I think the museum piece must have been the initial idea to make the full size version.

The second is a Boer War statue of two privates from the Manchester Regt. sculpted by Sir W. Hamo Thornycroft 1908 and is situated in St Ann's square Manchester. I used this as an idea to make my vignette The Last Bullet, but adapted it to the 24th foot.(still w.i.p.)
    cheers
    Richie
    Hartelpool_SA_Memorial.jpg boer 4.jpg
  4. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The idea that appealed most to me Mick was to let it go where it will.
    From so diverse an audience I am hoping for some nice surprises to be honest.
    I really admire the third one I put up because it's different.
    Looking forward to something from you all
    Thanks for reading
    Paul
    garyhiggins and crf like this.
  5. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have always admired that kind of public sculpture! Some of it is truly beautiful! Alas there is not much in this neck of the woods :-( a great idea for a thread BTW!
    garyhiggins and peedee like this.
  6. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Photo231405.jpg Photo231407.jpg

This monument has always been special to me. It commemorates the 121st Ohio Volunteer Infantry at the battle of Chickamauga. My Great Great Grandfather was the Color Sergeant of the regiment.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    My favourite local memorial is the World Wars Memorial in my second home town of Stratford Ontario. It was designed by William Allward, who's most famous accomplishment is the Vimy Memorial in France. The memorial displays an astonishing number of names....really brings home scale of slaughter on a small rural area.

Here is a photo from last remembrance day.You may see a lady in RCAF blue in the background of the second photo. That is famous celtic singer Loreena McKennitt, resident of Stratford and Hounourary Colonel of the RCAF. We are lucky to have her here.

image.jpg image.jpg

In terms of pure impact, this simple plaque on the courtyard wall in the Bendler Block in Berlin is the one that speaks to me. It lists the five German officers executed on this site for their part in the July 20 plot.

image.jpg
    swralph, garyhiggins, Perseas and 5 others like this.
  8. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    I was visiting the little town of Meriden, Connecticut and was surprised to find these:
    : 008.JPG
    Spanish-American War
    010.JPG
    All of Meriden's vets from Korea and Nam
    013.JPG 014.JPG 016.JPG
    Marines Branches of WWI Close-up
    015.JPG Pulaski.JPG
    Meridens WW1 and WW2 Vets Casimir Pulaski

These were all on a parkway strip in the center of town.

Bob
    swralph, garyhiggins, Perseas and 4 others like this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Varna, Bulgaria.

Bulgaria August 2006 211.jpg Bulgaria August 2006 212.jpg Bulgaria August 2006 213.jpg
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Heraklion, Crete.

PICT0135.JPG PICT0136.JPG

PICT0137.JPG
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Boer War Memorial, St. Cuthbert's Church, Darlington.

St Cuthberts Church Darlington.jpg
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I could not have a go on this thread without dropping another one in, Ok a Zulu war one:rolleyes:. Zulu memorial Rorke's Drift S.A. courtesy of my mate Gary who is out there now.

SAM_1207.JPG
    SAM_1206.JPG
  13. Trex Well-Known Member

General Kolokotronis, leader of the Greek War of Independence.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Tow Law, Co. Durham.

Tow law.jpg
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Ripon, North Yorkshire.

Ripon War Memorial 001.jpg
    swralph, garyhiggins, Perseas and 4 others like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Paul ,

A brilliant idea mate and already some great images ...I will get round the local villages to see what's about

Nice one

Nap
    garyhiggins and peedee like this.
  17. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

This is a great start, wonderful statuary,

The Zulu memorial is it the King's Kraal nr Ulundi ritchie ?
    Paul
    garyhiggins likes this.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey dude thanks for that..... I found this, Its Gothic I think, and only a Geek the otghr side of the country would have the piccies eh?
    a%20Memorial%20Tablet%20inside%20St.%20Mary's%20Church,%20Whitby.jpg
    Don't forget this memorial to the WW1 bombardment
    a%20memorial%20to%20the%20bombarment%20of%20Whitby%20In%20WW1.jpg
    In my humble opinion they are all as important. The old whitby hospital was also a war memorial too.
    Regards
    Paul
    swralph, garyhiggins and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kreston, "This monument has always been special to me. My Great Great Grandfather was the Color Sergeant of the regiment"

Kreston, wonderful and thank you, and something personal too
    Paul

Crf
    Thanks terrific pictures, what a sculpture

Roger
    A statue/ memorial in every port ?
    Terrific, the boer war one is so full of movement and spirit,
    Ripon? Is that a bust just for kev peart ?
    Here's one of the yorkshire regiment memorial and also haepools classic plinth, from the gritty grey granite to the seaside silhouette

The%20Yorks%20regiment%20war%20memorial.jpg
    a%20Hartlepool%20War%20Memorial.jpg

I am worried I may not be able to individually reply to your contributions straight away,
    apologies if I haven't yet but I will
    Thanks to you all so far, and we've really not even scratched the surface yet.
    Paul
    swralph, garyhiggins, Perseas and 3 others like this.
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul,
    No that particular one is Rorke's Drift, I nearly forgot about this one, this one is the Zulu memorial at Isandlwana. It depicts the necklace worn by the Zulu warriors...the isiQu.
    cheers
    Richie
    fugitive-s-drift.jpg