1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Imperial Guard Chasseur (or not)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Great sentiments Richard.

Neal
    NeilW likes this.
  2. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Best ask the sculptor/publisher.

Have Carl/Stormtrooper responded to any of this?
  3. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    True Richard. It was the ludicrously tall Roleau Shako as worn by the 2nd Regt Eclaireur, the 2nd Regt Chasseur Cheval, the Young Garde squadrons and other odd units. I think that the cords wound around the waist of the Czapska originally served a similar function (though they often became purely decorative).

Ecl1.JPG Ecl2.JPG Ecl4.JPG Ecl3.JPG

BTW: I think that the heavy plaited cords on the bust (and shakos of the period) are really just decorative, having evolved away from any actual function.
    Cannonball likes this.
  4. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    these discussions are justified more for an important unit like the guard chasseur than for a minor unit. The guard chasseur are always under the eyes of Napoleon and didn't have problem with money as for the line troops.

The corp was the most prestigious of the Army and deviation aren't permitted as for the guard grenadier.

cords for the officers? acceptable until the empire regulation... after the uniform didn't have any modification. I checked many portraits and none have cords

my de beauharnais

2016.05.17-01.jpg
    Martin64, NeilW and Cannonball like this.
  5. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agree Ivo and very few refs I can find show cords (and then they may be erroneous).

Cannonball's refs (with cords) are by Carle Vernet (pub. 1821) showing senior officers and Nicolaus Hoffman (died 1823), so probably contemporary and based on actual observation.

However, a similar Hoffman drawing of a trumpeter is said to show a period of transition from Consulate to Empire with a resultant mish-mash of equipment, including the red breeches and cords.
    ivopreda and Cannonball like this.