1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Imperial Gallery - Lt. John Rouse Merriott Chard O.C. Rorke's Drift

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have the great pleasure yet again to receive one of the first casting from Rob Hardwick owner of The Imperial Gallery of his latest new 120mm release depicting Lieutenant John Rouse Merriott Chard officer commanding Rorke's Drift mission station 22nd-23rd January 1879.

www.imperialgallery.co.uk

imperial gallery.jpg

The pose is something a little bit different and excellently sculpted by the very talented Moz Corry. The figure comes with a choice of two heads one with the foreign sevice helmet and one without. My personal preference for this build is the one without, I must say Moz has made a wonderful portrayal of the head and face of Lt. John Chard.

Chard 1.jpg Chard.jpg JohnRouseMerriottChard.jpg

2013_1025chardbw0008.JPG 2013_1025chardbw20020.JPG 2013_1025chardbw20030.JPG

Lt Chard will be for ever immortalised and synonymous with the 1964 movie Zulu played by Stanley Baker who with Cy Enfield brought the story of Rorke's Drift to the modern masses.

936full-zulu-poster.jpg zulu-800947309-large.jpeg Zulu-118198254-large.jpg

THE FIGURE.

Cast in grey resin, superbly crafted by Moz with some lovely detail and drapery as you would expect also very well engineered. After removing all the casting blocks and minimal clean up I dry fitted the figure together and it goes together like a dream. This is only about an hour's work to get it to this stage.
    The riding breeches are actually textured, an outstanding touch with the sculpting Moz(y).

He has the O.R. five button tunic which would have garter blue velvet facings and cord riding breeches and boots, he carries a Webley Royal Irish Constabulary pattern revolver. Here is Chard's actual revolver in the Royal Engineer's Museum.
    DSC_0660-300x223.jpg

CIMG6650.JPG CIMG6639.JPG CIMG6640.JPG CIMG6641.JPG CIMG6642.JPG CIMG6643.JPG CIMG6644.JPG CIMG6645.JPG CIMG6646.JPG CIMG6648.JPG
    I did cut the base down and the only reason behind this was to fit one of my existing wooden plinth bases. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a little bit more cleaning up done and undercoated.
    Hope you like.

Again an absolute cracker Rob thank you so much and good luck with this one.(y)
    cheers
    Richie

Attached Files:

Mike S., Mark S, Wings5797 and 7 others like this.
  2. Oldironsides Guest

United-Kingdom
    Very impressed.

Moz has done a grand job on this one. When will it be available on the IG website?
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark,
    I know Rob is planning on taking some to Telford next weekend, so it will not be too long to wait.
    cheers
    Richie
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Good luck on this one Richie
    Have you been able to find out the colour scheme? I know this era is new to you:rolleyes:;)

Have at it

Colin
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Thank you mate(y) , I'm just on the Dulux website now looking up the colours:ROFLMAO: and that's DULUX!
    cheers
    Richie
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    If it helps... the jacket is yellow and the trousers are purple with a silver stripe down the leg, if you choose to do the helmet, of course it's purple too. ;)
    Richie likes this.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You just wait my friend.:D How that looking now?:ROFLMAO::hilarious: Now if you can't behave.:rolleyes::p
    cccs.jpg
  8. Tarracus A Fixture

I've seen the movie lots of times and I don't remember any L.A. Laker supporter around there...
    Richie and Osebor like this.
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Have you been peeping on my bench?;)
    Richie likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I love it... Screw being an electrician. I'm gonna design uniforms... FIERCE Baby!
  11. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Look forward to seeing these at Telford Richie. Great stuff.
    Gordon
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    Looking forward to this one.
    I have spent many a happy hour looking over these artifacts of Chard at the RE Museum in Gillingham.
    A great sculpt by Maurice too.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have finally finished cleaning up the figure and have him undercoated which just lifts the detail even further. The face again is superb. As I previously mentioned the riding breeches have a textured pattern, very nice attention to detail from Moz in the sculpting and I have attached a couple of photo's of this. I did toy with the idea of raising the right arm into the firing position, but my wife really like the original pose better so I will stick with that.
    cheers
    Richie

Gerard - Don't worry mate no L.A. Lakers colours on this one.:eek:
    Carl - Don't you'll only encourage Colin.:rolleyes:
    Colin - I'm going to send Colin the elder over to check on you, I'm starting to get worried mate.;)
    Gordon - I will see you at some point at Telford mate.(y)
    Keith - If you have any photo's of Chard's artifacts from your trips, I will always have a copy off you buddy.:)

CIMG6654.JPG CIMG6655.JPG CIMG6656.JPG CIMG6657.JPG CIMG6658.JPG CIMG6659.JPG CIMG6660.JPG CIMG6662.JPG
    Wings5797, Don and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks like this one will be a fun paint. IMHO one of Moz's better pieces.

BTW, I'm fine, just a little cabin fever, made worse by the change in weather. Or perhaps I'm really just losing it :wtf::wacky:

Colin the Slightly Daft
    Funky50 likes this.
  15. Funky50 Guest

How on earth did Moz get that effect on the riding breeches.....that noise you just heard was my head exploding.....what a talented guy......
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,
    You and me both!:woot:
    cheers
    Richie
    Funky50 likes this.
  17. Don Well-Known Member

Ritchie, great work mate, an instant layout of the figure and an SBS to go with it, super.
    Another lovely figure from Rob at Imperial Gallery, any idea how many more he will be bringing out. I like the idea of an almost complete war lasting two days.
    Great work from Rob and superb work and information from yourself!

Don
  18. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great pose i really like this one, but i do have Sapper bias!
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Loads of character and a very precise sculpture.

Colin
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    I'm not at home at the moment, having a ramble in Joan of Arc land. I will have alook to see if I have anything when we are back at the ranch.
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith