1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Imperial Gallery Grenadier Bust SBS

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by davidmitchell, Dec 7, 2011.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    David,
    If i read it good enough: you don't give the entire face a basecoat and then get the paint of. Then building up the shades and high's. That's my usual way.
    Your way is giving coats of very thin (diluted oilpaint) several coats....
    Can I say it is almost like painting with acrylic???
    I asking because i'm not so satisfied about the way my face's end up. This is a possibility to chance my way.

Marc
  2. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for posting and sharing Dave, these painting SBS are so valuable and so much is to be learned by them. Your method and colour palette is petty similar to mine, I also like to use the old Holland warm sepia and sepia extra paints, very fine pigment and blends well with other colours wet on wet or dry. Great work and will be following this one to the end.(y)

Cheers
    Tommi
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Cracking paint job Davy.
    Brian
  4. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Great SBS, stunning painting. Congratulations.
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave

Nice SBS Im sure this will boost the sales on this bust quite a bit.

PS do the eyes come ready painted with this one, didn't see a mention on the SBS :rolleyes:

Joking aside very nice Dave.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Lovely so far Dave, another one that would tempt me away from flats for a spell.

Roger.
  8. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Wow what a great face painting?
    I especially like the beard shadow.

Cheers

Hendryk
  9. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Excellent SBS, David! Lovely skintones! (y)

Eddy
  10. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Guys for your feedback glad that it is of some use.Hi Keith to answer your question,after the pimer the face is under coat with Humbrol 250 then pre-shaded with thinned olis.After the first stage is dry I start placing the shadows and highlights on, but not covering the whole face with paint just working on small areas and blending them together.Hope this helps Keith its easy to do than explain.

Cheers David
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Can't wait to see this finished. The SBS is much appreciated, I agree with Ronnie, this will boost the sales on this bust.
    Cheers
    Derek
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Derek hope to have some more done over the weekend.

Cheers Davie
  13. tissibzh Active Member

France
    That's SBS!!
    I can't wait to see the progress(y)
  14. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    I have been waiting for this David !! Thanks alot !(y)

Is this wet on wet or wet on dry ? And are the oils unthinned ?

The painting is superb as usual,really reminds me of the old masters works in oil paint:)

Hope you are ok up there with all that weather:eek:

Carl
  15. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Christian will progress soon.Hi Carl I use both wet on wet and wet on dry and use oils thinned and unthinned depending on what areas I am working on.As for the weather its been very rough but everything is fine, we are used to it up in sunny Scotland:lol::lol:

Cheers David
  16. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Fabulous painting Davie!!!!

You are one of the best around mate, truly!!!!!

Carl
  17. BobLff257 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave,

Thats caught me by surprise, was'nt expecting that at all. Thank you very much for choosing the Imp.Gallery bust to share your marvellous,skillfull painting techniques with us all on the planet. Looking fantastic, can't wait for more, as said your one of the best.
    When released the bust provoked a few comments but I think the sculptor, Pete Morton, got it very close to spec. with the reference we had at the time, well done Pete,you too are one of the best. Now enough back slapping and onwards, following with great interest.

Rob
  18. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Carl and Rob your making me blush:lol::lol: the cheques are in the post:lol:.As Rob said Pete has done a great job on the sculpting, good to see faces with a bit of character instead of the good looking clones that some companys produce.

Cheers David
  19. Duke Active Member

Greece
    Excellent painting David!!

At least for me as an oil painter that was something really useful!!
    Thanks for sharing with us David!

S.
  20. mao A Fixture

Italy
    Thank you for this sbs ;)