1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Imperial Gallery 24th Foot - Rorke's Drift

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Wednesday 11th turned into WOW Wednesday for me. I saw the preview in the sculpting section of Rob Hardwick’s owner of Imperial Gallery new 120mm scale figure sculpted by Maurice Corry. The figure depicts a Corporal of the 2nd Warwickshire 24th Regt. Foot at Rorke’s Drift.

The dynamic pose of this superb crafted figure grabbed me immediately and the chimp could not jump off his tyre and chain quick enough to grab his wallet.
    Well the day just escalated when Rob contacted me and asked me if I do my usual thread and paint this figure for him. To say I was gobsmacked and overwhelmed was an understatement, talk about a kid at Christmas.

I bet you lot can't wait to get your hands on this one;)

I feel honoured that Rob of Imperial Galley has put his faith in me to tackle this project, so for the short term all my other projects are suspended while this gets well deserved priority.
    For information on the release date and price’s please contact Rob at

www.imperialgallery.co.uk

Imperial Gallery logo.png
    And if you don't know who Rob is, here we go; Could not resist:p

Rob Hardwick Imperial Gallery.jpg

Go to the the Imperial Gallery website and check out some of the other great figures and busts stocked.

Talk about eager to get my hands on this package I nearly dragged the postman through the letterbox as well.:woot::ROFLMAO:

The background to Rorke’s Drift.
    I am not going to tell the story of what happened on Wednesday 22nd January to Thursday 23rd January 1879 as nearly everyone has heard of this most famous “little” battle and if they haven’t they should have, shame on you, not that I’m biased. :p

Because this figure is a Corporal I thought I would put some background to the brave Corporal’s who defended the mission station with great bravery and sacrifice.

The Corporal’s.
    Corporal William Wilson Allen (sometimes stated as Allan) 2nd Battalion 24th Foot/1240 V.C. and South Africa medal with clasp 1877-8-9.
    Corporal George French 2nd Battalion 24th Foot/582 South Africa medal with clasp 1877-8-9.
    Corporal John Key 2nd Battalion 24th Foot/2389 South Africa medal with clasp 1877-8-9.
    Corporal John Jeremiah Lyons 2nd Battalion 24th Foot/1112 South Africa medal with clasp 1877-8-9.
    Corporal Alfred Saxty 2nd Battalion 24th Foot/849 South Africa medal with clasp 1877-8-9.

corporal alfred saxty.jpg Photo of Corporal Alfred Saxty in later life.

Corporal Allen’s V.C.
    William Allen Corporal, and Frederick Hitch 2nd Bn 24th Regiment. It was chiefly due to the courageous conduct of the men at Rorke’s Drift that communication was kept up with the hospital at all. Holding together , at all cost, a most dangerous post, raked in reverse by the enemy’s fire from the hill, they were both severely wounded; but their determined conduct enabled the patients to be withdrawn from the hospital, and when incapacitated by their wounds from fighting, the continued, as soon as their wounds had been dressed, to serve ammunition to their comrades through the night.

corporal william allen.jpg Corporal William Allen taken after he was promoted to Sergeant.

Corporal Lyons story – Taken from the Cambrian 13th June 1879.
    “I belong to B Company of the 2-24th, under Lieutenant Bromhead. I went up to Greytown with Private Hitch, who was one of the same company. We arrived at Rorke’s Drift about Jan. 5th. I saw Private Evans, of the Mounted Infantry, riding up at full gallop, without either coat or cap on, and I of course thought something was up. Hitch by this time reported that the Zulu’s were in sight, and we were scarcely finished before they were upon us. We were told not to fire without orders. This, I suppose was to make sure that the advancing force was really Zulu. Only a few seconds elapsed before the real character of it was made known to us. The Zulu’s did not shout, as they generally do; but, after extending and forming a half-moon, the steadily advanced and kept up a tremendous fire. I took up a position to check the fire from the enemy’s right flank, as it was thought the crack shots would go up there.
    Corporal Allen and several men were with me, and we all consider we did a good service. Lieutenant Bromhead was on the right face, firing over the mealies with a Martini-Henry. Mr Chard was also very busy, I only turned round once to see this, and in that brief interval I saw Private Cole shot and he fell dead. Seeing this I kept myself more over the bags, knowing that the shot which hit him had come over our heads, and I was determined to check this flank firing as much as possible. I became thus more exposed, and so did Corporal Allen.
    We fired many shots, and I said to my comrades, ‘They (the Zulus) are falling fast’ over there; and he replied ‘Yes, we are giving it to them’ I saw many Zulus killed on the hill. About half-past seven, as near as I can tell, after we had been fighting between two and three hours, I received a shot through the right side of the neck. The ball lodged in my back, striking the spine, and was not extracted till five weeks afterwards. My right arm was partially disabled. I said, ‘Give it to the Allen. I am done; I am dying.’ And he replied ‘Alright Jack;’ and while I was speaking to him I saw a hole in the right sleeve of his jacket, and I said ‘Allen, are you shot,’ and he replied ‘Yes; goodbye.’ He walked away, blood running from his arm, and he helped to serve ammunition all night. All I could do as I was lying on the ground was to encourage the men, and I did so as long as I was able to open my mouth. Everyman fought dearly for his life, but we were all determined to sell our lives like soldiers, and keep up the credit of our regiment. Mr Dalton, who has since received a commission, deserved any amount of praise”.

Corporal John Lyons.jpg Corporal Lyons still doing his duty in 1916.

There was a number of other brave Corporal’s not belonging to the 24th who fought bravely and defended the mission station at Rorke’s Drift;
    Cpl. Ferdnand Christian Schiess V.C. Natal Native Contingent, slightly wounded.
    2nd Cpl. Francis Attwood Army Service Corps D.C.M.
    Cpl. Michael Anderson Natal Native Contingent, killed in action.
    Cpl. Carl Scammel Natal Native Contingent dangerously wounded.

THE FIGURE.
    Here we go, I received the figure early this afternoon and after going to collect some new specs so I could see what I'm doing:( I made a start:)(y) .

I must firstly say this is a lovely dynamic figure (and deserves to have some comrades and foes, but that's up to you and me to make it happen!) superbly crafted by Moz with some lovely detail and drapery as you would expect and very well engineered. After removing all the casting blocks and minimal clean up I dry fitted the figure together and it goes together like a dream.
    I drilled and pinned the parts I needed to and after pushing them together or blue tacking I could see there was no need for any filling.

CIMG6484.JPG CIMG6486.JPG CIMG6487.JPG

I have fixed the body to the legs, the right arm to the tunic and the boots to the legs and I have left everything else loose for the minute. I have not primed the equipment yet, but I have primed the figure and base.
    I did cut the base down and the only reason behind this was to fit one of my existing wooden plinth bases. On priming the figure it just brought out the best of everthing but the real pick for me is that wonderful face full of character.

CIMG6489.JPG CIMG6490.JPG CIMG6491.JPG CIMG6492.JPG CIMG6493.JPG CIMG6494.JPG CIMG6495.JPG CIMG6496.JPG

Hope you like it, be back tomorrow.
    cheers
    Richie
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :D Great stuff Richie, I'll be following.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Following with interest Richie

Steve
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Roger,
    Thanks for looking in mate, hopefully I will have a good day tomorrow and some further updates.
    cheers
    Richie
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for looking in again mate and coming along for the journey.
    cheers
    Richie
  6. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This can't come soon enough.:) This is on my, "buy immediately" list. I'm currently working on the 75mm version of Lt. Bromhead, and for this fellow, I will pose him with the Verlinden Zulu. He might be aged and a bit static, but I have plans to modify him somewhat. Fantastic job so far Richie. It verifies what I thought, a superb sculpt.
    Tom
    malc likes this.
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Richie interesting thread and looking forward to following.

Cheers Ken
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Tom,
    Glad you popped in mate, definitely worth a purchase believe me, you will love it. As for the sculpt your'e right on the money Tom.(y) Hope you stay along for the ride mate, I might just try and document what I do with colours etc.
    cheers
    Richie
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Ken,
    Glad you looked in mate, soon be Telford again don't forget mines black coffee, I hope you enjoyed the little bit of background aswell.
    cheers
    Richie
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Lucky boy Richie,
    All of the hard graft has now been recognised and rewarded. Well deserved Mate this is a big compliment.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    Richie likes this.
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done mate. Some richly deserved credit to fuel your passion. I will be joining you for this one for sure.

Ron
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Mate your right a real lucky chimp:) . I would like to say it was down to my superb painting skills:ROFLMAO: but I think more down to my passion and enthusiam would be on the mark(y) .
    cheers
    Richie
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ken,
    Good morning mate, I hope you have had your jabs! because you are going to get infected again.;) Always a pleasure to have you on board Ken(y) , if only to keep the chimp in check.:ROFLMAO:
    cheers
    Richie
  14. Funky50 Guest

Can't wait to see what you do with this fantastic figure Richie......hope to get my hands on it soon too...what is it about that particular event and the soldiers that fought there not forgetting the fantastic bravery of the Zulus that captures the imagination of us all...well All us not quite grown up schoolboys anyway Lol....that film certainly has a lot to answer for as far as I'm concerned it has piqued a life long interest in all things Anglo Zulu.....by the way thanks for a very informative thread will follow this with interest.....Kevin
    Richie likes this.
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for looking mate, I know you will stay the distance.(y) Kevin you will not be disappointed when you get yours I promise. Yeah Cy Enfield has a lot to answer for - all good I might add. I also agree about the magnificent bravery of the Zulu warriors.
    I am starting to put down base colours and I will see if I can get some photo's up later tonight, but must nip out and get some matt medium.
    catch you later mate.
    cheers
    Richie
    Funky50 likes this.
  16. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    What an awesome project Richie! The background info also captured my interest, and I'll be following your progress. You may find it interesting to know that I have a framed print of 'The Defense of Rourke's Drift' by Neuville in our study.

Joe
    Rourke\'s Drift.jpg
    Richie and Funky50 like this.
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for looking mate, so glad that you like the project and background info., nice to have you along. Love your picture mate and with a picture like that I can see you having one of the figures(y).
    cheers
    Richie
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have been working on the project today, I have undercoated the tunic, trousers, head, hands and have completed the mealie bag base. I will go back and have a look at the iklwa blade again and I have made a small addition to this, I've put a binding on between the shaft and the blade. The mealie bag has had the war department cypher added and markings. To make the dust and rubble I have scrapped down the underside of my Isandlwana piece of battlefield rock and glued this in postion, it may still lighten up a bit as its drying.

Hopefully I will get a few hours in tomorrow. If I do, because of the previous comments I've had on the foreign service helmet I will document an SBS with photo's.

cheers
    Richie(y) CIMG6497.JPG CIMG6498.JPG CIMG6499.JPG CIMG6500.JPG CIMG6501.JPG CIMG6503.JPG CIMG6505.JPG CIMG6507.JPG CIMG6508.JPG

Attached Files:

Wings5797 and Funky50 like this.
  19. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Give that chimp a 'nana' :p..........Seriously mate....great start......excellent use of the markings on the mealie bag and good addition of spear binding.
    Colours are smooth and well blended too.
    This is going to be your best piece yet.

Ron
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Thanks mate, I got a photo ages ago off a lad in South Afica of the mealie bag markings, I have used it before as reference, he had done a lot of research and made some repro's.
    I'll see you one day and hold you to that banana:giggle:
    cheers
    Richie
    mealie bags.jpg