1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I'm new here and interested in painting Biggun's

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by krom1415, Aug 16, 2008.

1. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi
    I'm a 28mm painter but want to try my arm at painting larger scale figures, so I saw your fine web forum and hope to join in :D
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Welcome on board, if you need any help making the transition, just let us know.

Cheers
    Roc
  3. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Much obliged Roc, I think I will need plenty of help for sure :eek:
  4. theseeker Member

United-States
    If you can paint 28mm figures you can paint the big ones. To me the big difference between small and large is the larger figures require more subtle blending. What scale will you be working with?
    Rocky
  5. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Well, this is what I'm not sure of yet, I like the look of the Andrea 1/10 scale templar bust, but then I'm thinking should I go up the scales gradually?

I've always like painting faces, I was told by a great 28mm painter, (the late Ian Stables)that the face was most important and gave the figure life. I that one certainly has loads of charactor, however I like the smooth Young figures too. I do have actually a 120mm Maurice Cory WWII german para, I might give him a go although I'm more into ancient/medieval/fantasy type figures
  6. theseeker Member

United-States
    I have no experience with that bust, but it definitely has a lot of character.
    You might want to check e-bay and a Verlinden bust on the cheap to practice with. Once you get started you will be addicted!
    Rocky
  7. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Ah, thats a great idea, i'll have a look on ebay.
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

Might be an idea. Huge difference between working on a large-scale bust and minis - a detail on a 1/8 or 250mm bust could be the size of a whole leg on a 28mm figure!

BTW be aware there are some very dodgy casts of that bust (do a search and you'll find some prior threads).

Faces are vital. It's important to paint an entire thing as well as poss of course, but a badly-painted boot won't entirely ruin the overall effect the way a poor face will.

If you intend to paint using the same paints you use on a 28mm in case it's not obvious you'll want to use brushes that are lots bigger! :)

Einion
  9. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Einion, yes I've noticed the standard of sculpting is up and down on these large scales. but there sure is some great ones too.