1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I'm inspired to start again!

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Oct 29, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Seeing all the awesome work displayed here has inspired me to try again with my first scratchbuilding project, but I need some sage advice first please!!
    This is a 90mm piece, that was initially going to be a medieval knight, but my wife has asked me if I can make it into Gandalf, with his staff in the left hand & Glamdril (Sword) in his right (OK by me as the beard will cover a multitude of sins & I didn't really relish the idea of chainmail!!)
    I stopped this the first time 'cos I just couldn't get the eyes right (as you can see! :( ) so how do I get them right? Do I even bother? or should I start the whole head again?
    btw, the moustache was added as a cop-out 'cos I couldn't get the mouth right either!
    I started this before I'd found this site (or any other decent info on sculpting come to that!)
    sorry for so many questions but I'd really like to be able to finish this just to say that I did!!
    Cheers
    Simon
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    My Hat is off to you Simon... (y)

Now I am Not the one to give you any advice on sculpting, I am glad you picked it back up and have the desire to continue. I still have the initial attempt to sculpt a bust here on my desk (it was supposed to resemble an indian but looks more like Daffy Duck) and I just can't go back to it now. I just love to paint and will stand in the background and cheer on those who have the courage to sculpt their own. Maybe someday by viewing all the post's that you and others make I will learn more and my courage will return.

Guy (y)
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    You have no idea how much courage it took me to even post this in the first place!!
    Cheers
    Simon (y)
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    wonderfull! great that you just jumped in with both feet :)
    i little hard to see from the photo.. but a little raising on the cheekbones.. the heads' shape looks good, and your not suffering from the "2D face"
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Simon

Keep that head going! I sculpted a 54mm head recently that evolved more following from Gordy's Micky Mantle SBS over on MUG.

Gordy; could the head part of that become an article over here?

My attempt is here, greatly inspired from Gordy
    My 54mm Head

Don't be afraid to carve and file it back; then add more putty

are you using milliput?

Rob
  6. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    I haven't done the feet yet! No I jest! Thanks gordy
    Yeah the photo is a bit poor but until I get a decent digicam or a macro lens for my SLR (FAT chance!) I'm stuck with that or scanning stuff!
    Your "Mickey Mantle" posts will help a lot actually, when I tackle those eyes again & following the recent thread about folds/creases will help with the rest!
    Cheers
    Simon
  7. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Yep, very old standard stuff (hence what looks like liver spots on the guys head! - it's actually bits of the nasty skin that forms on the hardener!)
    Like the look of your 54mm one! I was reluctant to start that small for my first attempt!
    Cheers
    Simon
  8. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I know the liver spots....

And I did start with something larger: about 1/9!

[IMG]

Still being worked on.

Definately keep it going

Rob
  9. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Maybe I should've started with something larger!!
    I like that Rob,.. 's'good!
    Looking at it has reminded me that I'm not looking forward to tackling the ears!
    Hmmmm........Long hair & a big hat should suffice! ;)
    Simon
  10. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Ears, yeah! Those are too far back. Again, the MM build is good.

But if he's to be Gandalf, BIG HAT and BIG HAIR.

Here's some inspiration (1/3 scale, though)

[IMG]

see more at:
    check gandalf project

Rob

PS: at last I've sussed out posting pictures in the thread!!
  11. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Whooah! i don't think I'll be trying for that much detail! not in 90mm at any rate! But yeah, something to think about though, trying to portray age!?. I guess I'd settle for bags under the eyes for this one
    Cheers
    Simon
  12. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, Rob, I'm glad (and humbled) the SBS's helped (y) I'm encouraged to do more :) perhaps go into more detail on specific parts, ears, nose etc...

keep pushin', carvin' and postin' ;)
  13. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    That would be a great help, & not just to me either, I'm sure!
    Apart from the stuff here & on MUG, there's virtually nothing on the web that explains it in a way that beginners (like me) can understand!<-- that's not quite what I mean!...hmmm......I suppose what I do mean is the way you did the MM one, explained the process better than anything I've since been able to read..Do ya see what I mean?
    Cheers
    Simon (y)
  14. btavis Active Member

United-States
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    WOW, Bob that's shaping up great! I really like the portly figures, it gives it a "real-life" touch!

@Simon, I get it ;)
  16. btavis Active Member

United-States
    All of the figures (and everything else for that matter) are scratchbuilt except the man on the left in grey suit and the two guys on the right in front of the mobilization poster on the side of the flower shop. I am going to replace the commercial ones with my own since at this point it has become such a masochistic project anyway. :angry:
  17. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Damn Bob, what an Opus! That's gonna be cool.
  18. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Here is another shot showing a teenage boy running alongside the Taxi with a tri-color and two men standing near a replica of the actual mobilization poster issued by Gallieni. I did it on a Lexmark printer at 1200 DPI to keep all the text in focus.
  19. btavis Active Member

United-States
    John, Steve Scott is making a mahogony base for me and I should have it in a week or so. Then I can get started on the street and sidewalk. THEN I start to really paint the figures which will be a welcome relief from all of this carving, grinding and sanding business.
  20. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Incidentally, in the flower shop window I am going to have flowers in vases and I found an easy way to make them. I put a blob of putty on a rod of brass and let it harden. I then put the rod in a dremel tool and shaped the putty into a vase form using an X-Acto just like you would do with a lathe. It actually works pretty well. Now if I could just figure out how to do it with a transparent material to make it look like glass as opposed to ceramic.

Here is a picture of it: