1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP I'm back! Scale 75 Abyssal Warlord

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kagemusha, May 4, 2014.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Chris, last updates till I come off shift :(

Cheers

Ron
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Your probably right Steve mate :LOL:.........I just think reality works best some times......then again ;)
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    What an absolute pleasure watching this develop, the unique style on this amazing, looking forward to the next post, as for the timber wolf fur so far it's................
    timber wolf.jpg
    cheers
    Richie;)
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Richie, a real pleasure to have you along for this one mate.
    So pleased you like my change of style on this piece. You know what I am like mate, always in search of new ways to bend the rules ;)
    As for the fur.....it has a ways to go yet....but getting there....(y)

ATB

Ron
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ron, this is coming together beautifully ! .. I love the torso upgrade and the additions all blended together ! a lovely feel to it. The fur is really nice, lots of tone and hue! but very subtle to boot!(y) this is another wonderful project from your hand!:)

Regards,

Mark
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for your kind words mate, and of course your input. At this moment, I am undecided about the fur......maybe a tad too subtle?............will look at it again on Sunday :unsure:

Cheers

Ron
  7. Funky50 Guest

Hi Ron enjoying this thread...just to say have used both formulas of Klear for many years now and there is no difference in either formula with regards to what it does for modellers other than the new formula is opaque when viewed in a jar but goes clear when dry and the new formula is scented...don't be fooled into paying extortionate prices on e bay for the original formula it really does the same job..basically a very thin acrylic varnish.....all the best and a great thread...Kevin
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Funky, I did try the 'modern' formula, had an issue with 'clouding on darker colours.
    This was also experienced by some other users on the net. However, the common denominator was, we all applied it by brush, not airbrush.
    It was enough to send me in search of the original, which I got from a member on PF, at a reasonable price.
    But thanks for your feedback on the 'Klear', and of course the SBS.

Regards

Ron
    Funky50 likes this.
  9. Funky50 Guest

Cheers Ron....interesting what you say about darker colours it might depend on the paint I used I couldn't find any difference but I used an airbrush as you say and Humbrol enamels...I mention the e bay thing because some people were asking and getting in excess of £80 for a bottle of the original stuff when they first changed over which I thought was pretty scandalous....enjoying the thread and all the best...Kevin
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers for that Kevin. That may shed some light on the'clouding' issues with the new formula, as it seems only to effect acrylics.
    Totally agree, £80 is daylight robbery in any ones book!
    Glad you are enjoying the SBS mate.

Best

Ron
    Funky50 likes this.
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Managed to get some time in on the fur cape. Have upped the contrast between colours, and redefined some areas to give it a sense of shape.
    As previously noted, the black timber wolf has dark fur on top of lighter colours, especially down the spine, so I have tried to create the look of the fur hanging vertically over his shoulders and down his back. I applied the colours in a way that, when viewed from the side, you feel as if you are looking 'into' the hair.
    This is as far as I will go with each of the sub-assemblies now. I will look at the whole piece again, once he is together, and mounted on the chosen plinth.

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0017.JPG

Let me know your thoughts and ideas as always.

almost there.................
    Dolf likes this.
  12. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking great Ron the defination is really coming together and the adjustments have worked really well.
    Cheers Chris
  13. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work Ron ! I really like where this fur is going ! Very nice hues and shades.

Regards,

Mark
  14. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris, and glad you approve the re-worked contrast on the fur.

Cheers

Ron
  15. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Mr Nuts, think I am starting to get the knack of this painting lark :LOL:...........I think the tonal values are much closer together now.....more balanced :p;):D

Ron
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks good Ron
    Steve
  17. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Steve for your comments and support. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Ron
  18. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Finally got this piece finished last night. Spent most of the morning taking and re-taking the pictures.
    Because of the technique I used for the metals, it made the piece very hard to get decent pictures that do it justice. I have done my best to give an accurate idea of the colours and effects used by, first limiting the light hitting it, then using a subdued flash to bring out the metals.
    One thing I wanted to show in this thread, was the use of an airbrush, as a valid tool in the figure arena. I hope you agree it is worth the effort.
    Hope you have enjoyed seeing this progress, as much as I enjoyed doing it.

IMG_0534.jpg IMG_0539.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0572.jpg IMG_0579.jpg DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0055.JPG DSC_0082.JPG DSC_0084.JPG DSC_0105.JPG DSC_0107.JPG DSC_0109.JPG

Interested to hear your views.

Ron
    Dolf, DEL, Richie and 1 other person like this.
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive Ron.(y)
  20. Helm A Fixture

England
    Back on the top of your game I would say Ron quality work in every way
    Steve
    Richie likes this.