1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I'm back (in white)

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by DaddyO, Nov 6, 2021.

1. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice painting and setting Paul.
    I hopefully look forward to seeing it at Bugle Call soon.
    It's a lovely figure to paint.
    I remember using white pearlescent paint to simulate the silk top to the hat (after reading an article by Gill Watkins-John).

Cheers,
    Andrew
    DaddyO likes this.
  2. phc35 Active Member

United-States
    Long live the king,AbFab
    DaddyO likes this.
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks guys :D

Look forward to catching up at BC Andrew (like the silk idea as well)(y)
  4. bonehead A Fixture

United-States

Hey Mike! :)

It is nice to see one of these painted. The story of its genesis is kind of funny, in a way. And, it explains the "uninspiring" paint scheme. When I attended Euro Militaire in 1987, one of my goals was to talk to Ray Lamb and see if I could convince him to let me sculpt for him. I did well at the show and Ray agreed to let me do some work for him. He asked me if I had anything in the works that he could produce. I said I did, but it might not be a good commercial subject for him.

I had done this figure on a whim as a one off for myself. The subject is a "Moscovite Rindi" which I read were palace guards to the Czar. They were distinguished by their distinctive dress made from the finest materials and all in white from head to toe. I had taken on the project as a kind of painting challenge for myself. I thought it would be an interesting challenge to depict all the different textural materials: silk, leather and fur all in white. I especially looked forward to painting that satin kaftan with pearl white paint. Despite my suggestion that it may not be a good commercial choice for him, Ray decided to take the figure on anyway. I never did get around to painting one.

And for years afterwords one of Ray's favorite stories to tell was about this blasted figure and its rather "limited" paint job. Sorry Ray! And I am forever grateful to Ray for putting faith in me and allowing me to create figures for the best producer in the business! I am truly blessed.

Cheers!!

Mike
    Tom W., Nap, Old Pete and 5 others like this.
  5. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Cheers Mike - glad you like it :D
    Great to hear that 'straight from the horses mouth' as we say. Love knowing about the genesis of ideas and how they come to fruitition (y) (By the way love your Werner Voss sculpt too Mike which I painted a few years back and is still one of my favourites)

Cheers
    Paul
    bonehead and Nap like this.
  6. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    brilliant
    DaddyO likes this.