1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ICM German Stosstruppen

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by David Spencer, Oct 23, 2022.

1. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Three of the four figure set (the other one wasn't great, but was handy for practising and deciding on paint schemes).
    I wasn't happy with how I painted the spade-guy's face (last one I did; maybe fatigue was setting in?).
    The groundwork material wasn't ideal - too uniform, so the end result looks painted, even though it was only washed and dry-brushed.
    I enjoyed painting the figures, but the rest ... meh.

8DABFC40-724B-489D-BD31-8D5F1E0F7A9B-1.jpg D7725F29-8FF5-4CF9-9CCC-889596CA301C-1.jpg CF34627B-6EC4-46A2-B948-07BE4FD8D358-1.jpg

7BD35ADF-1762-4566-AF49-AFFCE4BDA241-1.jpg DC626860-600D-4CC6-B105-EE6C290B5BB6-1.jpg
  2. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks really good!
  3. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve
  4. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Excellent work

Mobo
  5. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    They're nicely done (maybe a bit too clean?). Nothing wrong with spade guy's face. (He's maybe just a bit miffed because the gesturing officer with the P'08 has just said to him: "Geh mal zurück und hol dein Gewehr, du Idiot!" ;) )
  6. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yeah there wasn't anywhere to put the rifle so it got left off. The variety made painting them more interesting.
  7. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Bit hard on yourself there David.. they look really good...
  8. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Warren
    The figs went okay. It was the groundwork that irritated me.
  9. NigelR A Fixture

Nicely done, good use of the ICM figures. The vignette tells a good story and it's well composed.

You're right about the groundwork IMO, it's the drybrushing that makes it look too even and uniform. Drybrushing works well for sandy or dry terrain, but not for a muddy landscape.
    As someone that's modelled a lot of mud (I mainly build WWI subjects), the technique that works for me is to use different coloured mud textures. I typically use three so that I have light, medium and dark variations. I then use these to give some variation to the basic groundwork so that it is not a uniform brown colour. You can then use targeted washes to emphasise some of the deeper areas, and I highlight some the raised areas using raw sienna/ochre/earth tones that are lightly stippled on in small areas rather than drybrushing the whole thing.

There are plenty of good commercial mud products you could use but I mix up my own using ready-mixed Polyfilla (spackling to those in the US), PVA glue and debris from the garden. I then colour these either with acrylic paint or earth coloured pigments.
    Nap and David Spencer like this.
  10. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the tips.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi David

Great to see what you've been working on , a nice vignette there , I like the look on the spade guy ...not impresssed

Good advice ref groundwork from Nigel .....every time we model we always learn something

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY WHY NOT ENTER a piece into the class of your choice in FOTM here: :)(y)

Standard

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...dard-class-ends-midnight-bst-15-11-22.504733/

Intermediate

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...iate-class-ends-midnight-bst-15-11-22.504734/

Advanced

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...nced-class-ends-midnight-bst-15-11-22.504735/

In the forum you can also VOTE in previous comp so please take the time to do so

There is a Vignette & Diorama competition running here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...night-31-12-22-voting-from-1-31-01-23.414984/

Thanks for sharing

Always good to see your artwork , look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    David Spencer likes this.