1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"I want to ride my bicycle" finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Marijn Van Gils, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks a lot guys! Those comments are making me blush! :lol:

Hello Phil! No, I never did cyclo-cross, and even don't have a real interest in it myself :eek: , but it is indeed very popular in Belgium and one cannot escape seeing some images from it on the television from time to time, so it certainly was an influence.
    The general pose was inspired by a foto of a french cyclist at the western front. Well, he was just one of at least a dozen soldiers in that photo, shot from far-away, so I could only make out the general pose. A friend (Thanks Rudi!), had to help me with the exact positioning of the right arm, since my first posing was not nearly as likely as it is now!

Thanks Kevin. Please go ahead and use some pics. I take it as a big compliment, but thanks for asking! :lol:
    I don't feel Marc's comment about the dust to be really absurd. It is just a painting dilemma, which I tried to solve in a certain way I found to keep the spirit of the figure best. But I don't think there is a perfect solution for this dilemma, so Marc noticed it rightly.

Thanks a lot again guys!

Marijn
  2. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    WOW !!!

what a wonderful piece !!!!!!

Thx to share it !!!!

Sculp is amazing, paint also. The harmony is very good.

I'm ok with you Marijn, Marc's comment is everything but absurd.

If every painter receive only "good comments" he may feel satisfied, and never improve.
    I'm french, and in france's forums many of "comments" are constructive critics.
    I think it can help to improve.
    Of course, someone with your level rank, dont need to improve like a standard artist.

Well, I'd like to talk about your piece.
    Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe "absurd", but normaly a bike is heavy. So the iron bar under the sadle (the one who goes to the pedals) should push the guy's shoulder and back.
    But that the only strange point I see.
    All the rest is pure gift for our eyes.

Thx a lot again Marijn.

JP
  3. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello Marijn

I just ecko all the above comments.

What will he think of next? :lol:

Cheers

Per Olav
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    What can be said that hasn't already been said?? Perfection!
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    :eek: Beautiful

Roger.
  6. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Marijn, A stunning work of art in miniature. You continue to amaze and inspire with your mastery of moments in time with your eloquent scenes.

John
  7. Kyle Member

United-States
    Marijn,

My feet hurt just looking at this! I love this scene - it is so creative and full of "story." The jagged rocks, cactus, look on this gentleman's face.... brilliant. You aced it! He could go for a cold Beck's about right now....

Kyle
  8. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Hi Marijn! Absolutely stunning! Great sculpting and paintwork as usual! Specially like the bike. Have always wanted to make our finnish army cycling jäger during ww2. Well heres the inspiration! :)

Cheers Mikko
  9. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Marijn,

Everytime I think you have reached your limits, you seems to surpass tem. This one proves it again. It's just perfect, from head to groundwork. I also love the figure's look in his eyes. I'm feeling sorry for him, just looking at his eyes. Bravo for another masterpiece!!!

Gino
  10. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks a lot again guys!

Thanks JP! Your observation is very correct indeed. The reason I didn't do it like that, besides the obvious difficulty of making that bar fit nicely in the cloth of the jacket, is that the sadle would obstruct his head if the bike was further "down".
    Instead, I positioned the left protruding axis of the pedals against his waist, against his belt. This can take a big part of the weight, so he only needs to swivel the bike up a little with his arm, and effort he is making to keep that sadle out of his face. :lol:
    Of course, this detail is not very visible in the photographs, and I agree it would look more logic if the bar would rest against his shoulder. Thanks again!

Mikko, just go for it! :lol:

Cheers!

Marijn
  11. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Well, no one left me any more words to search in the dictionary and that's a lesson not to be late again and again and again :angry:

Your work is DEFINITELY inspiring Marijn apart from being AWESOME, truely a work of ART from every angle :eek:

Thanks so much for sharing........Bravo!!!

Take Care,

Ray ;)
  12. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks a lot Ray! :)
  13. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Little more can be say.
    I was in the judge team that gave you the Best of Show at Torrente and we had few doubts although some people asked us:"A II WW figure?".
    You are inspiring not only in the way you think your figures, in the way you take the critics too.
    Are you going to Torrente this year?

Cheers
    Diego
  14. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Thanks a lot Diego!

I took that BOS as a great compliment because both you and Raul were part of that jury! Competition results always are no more or no less than the individual opinion of the jury members, so my personal respect for those members and their work is always very important for me to "interprete" an award. :lol:
    It was also a big surprise, as that was almost the first time for me to compete in figure-classes.

Yes, I will certainly go to Torrent! It would be a big pleasure to meet you there!
    Best wishes,

Marijn
  15. YongA01 Active Member

Malaysia
    Hi Marijn,

Your story telling in miniature is raising the bar to a level that many can only admire. Great work, original... Hope to have a chance to see this piece personally. Take care and hope to see more...

Allan Yong
  16. Pepe Gallardo Member

My friend this work is Beautifull!!!!!!

For me the best is, how tell a little history with a figure only.
    Congratulations Marijn.

Pepe.
  17. pstansell New Member

NEWSFLASH!

Euro Militaire 2006 has been cancelled and all prizes will be forwarded directly to Marijin...

Thank you.