1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I invite everyone to discuss the price for the Samurai archer

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by TSJ, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Steve Edwards Active Member

I will happily pay around 50 pounds, euros or dollars for a good mounted 54mm figure. It's a reasonable price. Neither too little or too much.

Assembling and painting a mounted figure will keep me occupied for, at least, a few weeks. This is not my job, it's my hobby.

Our hobby is quite cheap compared to many others. What does it cost you every week if your hobby is motorsports or yachting?
    TSJ likes this.
  2. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I personally think the sculpt is excellent. If you did it for your own satisfaction more power to you. If you did it to make money, I wish you well. You are wise to feel through this process of love what you do and make money. I say have fun with the great talent you have and see where it goes. Good of you to ask honest questions as you use your talent.

Wayne
    Nap and TSJ like this.
  3. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    Other manufacturers are demanding €65 for mounted figures which are much simpler in design and frankly not as well sculpted as your samurai. €50 for a 54mm one is a bargain IMHO.
    Nap and TSJ like this.
  4. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For all those lamenting about the 'thickness' of the bowstring, surely it is not beyond the ability of those who would tackle a superb kit like this to replace the resin 'string' either with thin wire or as I would do, with some in scale thickness Lycra knitting threat which you can get a reel of for a couple of GBP/Euro on the internet..! You can get the tension right using this material and even then stain the thread with a colour of choice.

A lovely figure and I may be tempted by one of the announced larger scale versions.
    Gary
    aknific, housecarl, TSJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. pinkfloyd A Fixture

Another excellent release(y) !!! my offer for 120mm is 160 Euro:), I collected the 75mm Roman Centurion, Jeff
    TSJ likes this.
  6. TSJ Active Member

I will add three options to the kit. Who wants another bowstring or another bow. Thanks to everyone who helps improve my product(y)

IMG_0403.JPG
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi TSJ

WELL DONE , that's great to see a company reacting to comments so quickly

Happy releasing

Nap
    TSJ likes this.
  8. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Fantastic! You can now add your own bow string or add your own bow.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I know nothing about about the accuaracies of Samurai or archery. The problem is not the bow string as everyone has previously stated it can easily be replaced. From a manufacturing point of view I would cast it with the bow string as this will help the bow set in the correct postion when the resin has set. Once set and hardened cut it off. The problem will be the arrow shaft once the bow is tensioned with wire, because it is in thin resin and is going to be a separate piece it has the potential to buckle and distort. I know this from doing a side project. The bow string will need to look tight to make it appear correct.
    It would be better for the bow arrow shaft to have a suitable gauge of metal rod and cast the spearhead and feathers in resin, may be a few sets.

I had to alter this piece as the sculptor did not think about the bow string position as it did not have one and clashed with the torso considerably in the original position. I needed to change the orientation of the bow. I then replaced the arrow shaft with a metal piece. But you can see the bow string and tension look right.

Even a slight tension of wire on a resin bow will distort something! The other option may be is to do what aviation modellers do when making arial wires for planes for the bow string.

Come on fellow modeller's this is a modelling problem not a kit problem, he could have easily said bow string for reference purposes only and will not be present on kit.
    Try casting and producing something and see how you get around these sort of problems.
    cheers
    Richie
    archer1.jpg
    Landrotten Highlander, TSJ and Nap like this.