1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I give it a try: Pilot buste

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Bert Takken, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Its a long, long long time ago I posted something on this forum. Being all the time a kinda lurker but I'm starting again with painting the little men (my girlfriend didn't allow me to paint the little women, becouse I needed to much reference GRIN.)
    On a dutch forum I started with the Verlinden Pilot for a megagroupsbuilt with the Desert Storm as subject. To built a plane, boat or something I wasn't into the mood, so I decided the paint a figure. It's cost me about a week searching for a name of a fighterpilot with the right helmet. I came with Mike "Smiles" Bucchi who flew a F14 of the VF84 Jolly Rogers from the USS theodore Rooseveldt. The guy is now a admiral or somethings high ranked.

The painting of the flightgear is like usual, green and gray, but the helmet is bright yellow, I have to make the Oxi mask, but for the detail I would like to show and get some respons is the next. Mostly the visors will be painted black/blue or black/green but I decided to to it another way. I have painted some reflections on it
    For the quality of the pictures I didn't get any awards, but I hope you can see it
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I got the idea by searching for a name and found this pic
    [IMG]

Personally I think the terrain is something to small and not faded out enough. There is still no clearlack on it (I oainted in oil) and it isn't dry-out yet

BertUS
  2. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    What a great idea Bert, and brilliantly executed. I would love to see him all finished.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    What an original idea. Well done. Beautifully executed.
  4. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    I echo the others; great idea, very good effort at application.

Even better when I see you are hand painting it!

Like where it is over all.

Cheers
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great idea and well done! Such fun here!!!

Jay H.
    OKc
  6. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    looking outside the square, good to see, it looks great , very well executed ,
    well done
    Cheers
    Al
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Zo bert, weer even op het oude nest???

I echo all the others. Great work.

mar
  8. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks guys
    I'll try to paint the terrainglobe a bit bigger, it's IMHO a little to small.

Ja, Marc, ik was het bouwen effe spuugzat, heb tussendoor wel twee houten zeilschepen gemaakt
  9. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Just a thought; when you base the figure, it may help 'carry' the idea to have a copy of the reflections in the visor with the bust.

still like the bust!

cheers
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    This is coming along great.
    Cheers
    John
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    This is a great idea, I have seen something similar with an astronaut kit where the moonscape was painted on the visor. You have done a great job in capturing the reflection from the photo.
    Ben
  12. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Ben
    I've made an oximask from wood, straws and Evergreen and had a dryfit for the position.
    I panted the helmet in Yellow, but it's to bright and have to paint it a bit darker.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

BertUS
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    That mask is impressive! Looks like you're really having fun with this one!

Jay H.
    Okc
  14. Bert Takken New Member

Netherlands
    O yeah, esspecially when I have a positif result. It goes very slowy. like always
  15. RRosario New Member

Very ingenious...I like it :)