1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I couldn't resist...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Calvin Member

I couldn't resist to the drawings of Luca Tarlazzi...

[IMG]

The figure I'm using for this transormation is the Teutonic Knight from Pegaso.

[IMG]

This is the figure as it comes from the box.

[IMG]

And this is one of the plates I found on the web.

[IMG]

I'll change the head, the arms, the tunic, the belt and the shield. I was trying with an old Esci head first, but it was too small so I change it with one from a Verlinden US tanker. The original helmet has been wiped out to make a new chain mail.

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is my first attempt, so I'm doing some tests on a dummy. The process is not so hard, only tedious. I'm using a cutted needle and the epoxy putty from Tamiya. Such putty is much more compact that the Milliput, so I think that is the best medium for this kind of work.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Calvin Member

The original shield will be replaced with a normand type. To reproduce its (concave) shape it was placed under the heat of a small lamp.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The arms will be replaced to reproduce a shorter chain mail. The hands comes from old Airfix spare parts.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The original armor has been deleted and will be replaced with a new tunic.

[IMG]
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luca,

That is a complete new figure. Hope someday i gonna something like that.
    Keep posting.

Marc
  4. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Can´t wait the finished work Luca, and, Where can I see more illustrations of the draw artist?

Regards,

Alex.
  5. Calvin Member

Hi Alex,
    go here. There is also an italian editor which have some reviews illustrated by Luca.
  6. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent stuff Luca. Thanks for sharing your techniques.

John
  7. Calvin Member

Hello again,
    for the shield I've used as reference the "Hasting - The Battle", fom Accion Press, a really good book with many pictures, all in colour.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The bolts are made with Milliput, all the rest with plasticard. Making such bolts is really easy. It's enough to squash a little amout of putty and make a cut with the other side of the needle (the same I used for the mail).

[IMG]

Next, when the putty is set, the border can be wiped out with a cutter.
  8. Calvin Member

Making folds is not my speciality, so after two trys remodelling the arms, I decided that is good enough (I must still add the mail).

[IMG]

Here just a quick test for the pose and for the base.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The mail, made with the Tamiya putty, is now read, white for the folds I'm using the Milliput.

[IMG]
  9. Calvin Member

It's hard to find the required spare time, so the advances are really poor.

The shield is now (almost) ready. I hope that making the belts will be clear enough with the following picture.

[IMG]

The groundwork is not still ready, but near to finishing.

[IMG]

And the rear tunic, made with the Tamiya putty.

[IMG]
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work Luca. Thanks for sharing with us
  11. Guayo New Member

Hola Luca, the Hasting book got many original ideas for sculping and painting, I recieve my last week and couldn't take my eyes out of it, I also order the hasting book of Heimdal.

I have the same problems with time, work and family, I look like a zombie for the lack of sleep, but as I say to my wife "We would have time to sleep in the grave so for the moment lets paint". :lol:

Thanks for sharing your work
    Eduardo.
  12. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Luca,
    Thanks for all the photos. Watching your project SBS gives me lots of ideas and is inspiring me to get to work on my vignette.
    Pete
  13. Calvin Member

I think exactly the same, but it's a really hard work to explain it to my wife...

Does not sound familiar to you...?

Pete, I'm just a beginner, so hearing such comments is really nice, thanks.

The arms with the mail, I think the folds needs to be refined, its volume seems too big.

[IMG]

The Verlinden head has been changed with one from Andrea. The tanker's face looks like an angel, and this is not good on such kind of figure... Just a little transformation on the beard and the hair (see the last picture).

[IMG]

One of the most boring thing, for me, is to make the right holes to place the figure on the base, here after 20 minutes of attempts...

[IMG]

The groundwork is now ready.

[IMG]

The accessories too are now ready. The lance is made with wire, plasticar and tape. There is also a crucifix, which must be sized.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The right arm seems to long, I must resize it before mounting it.

[IMG]

And the following to show the last advances. The hair (moulded with a cutter), the mail protection for the head and some folds I'm modelling.

[IMG]
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Very nice sbs.~Gary
  15. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hola Luca,

This is so great. You are doing a superb job. can't wait to see it finnished.

Greetz,

Gino
  16. Calvin Member

Gino, thanks for your nice words, but I know myself and I know I'll spoil the figure with my painting, so I would like to put some more pictures of the finished transformation before the disaster...

[IMG]

[IMG]

The more light putty is Tamiya, while the most dark is Milliput/Magic Sculpt (this one worked with a brush). The string over the chest is for the crucifix.

[IMG]

On the groundwork (not visible with such picture) I've placed the remains of an arabian flag, so if someone of you knows some reference (pictures, photos, etc.), I'll be very grateful...

Hope you like it. The next post with the finished painting (I hope...).
  17. jjgurk Member

United-States
    I'm really enjoying following your progress on this figure Luca. Thanks for sharing. It looks great. Bravissimo....

John
  18. Calvin Member

Grazie John, your words are always encouraging me. Maybe, I'm posting too much steps, but I can't do more at time and I really like to hear your opinion about the following.
    As you know, I like to begin from the end, so this is a snapshot of the base. Instead of doing a stone column, I tryed to reproduce a marble one. Hope you like the result.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  19. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    WOW! Awesome... :)
    cheers
  20. nagashino New Member

Hi Luca

I've been following this with much interest. It's turning out to be excellent, and it has been very inspiring - I feel a "medieval" moment coming on :lol:

The marble looks very convincing.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards

Phil