1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

I 3D scanned my niece when she was born, and printed it for her parents 5 years later. Advice needed

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Tanglebrook, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Tanglebrook New Member

I'm going to be presenting this model to my niece's parent's on her 5th birthday. It means a lot to me, so I'm searching high and low for advice on finishing it. I apologize if this forum isn't quite right for all my questions, but maybe you can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help.

So here's the original scan, touched up and finished by an artist, and here's the print, done by Shapeways in sandstone.

Overall, I'm very happy with the result. But the obvious issue is how much darker her face is compared to the original model. It looks like there was a tanning bed inside my sister.

So, first question - are there any coatings, methods, tricks or techniques that could lighten up or desaturate her face? I'm not a painter, so trying to completely repaint it isn't an option (and is undesirable, taking away from the accuracy of the print). But I'm wondering if there's a simple way to improve things, even subtly, without losing too much detail.

Second, I chose the gloss finish to make the print stronger, but I'd rather lose the actual glossiness. A few sprays with Testors Lacquer Dull Coat was recommended to me. Thoughts? Anything I should do to prep the model, or do afterwards?

And finally, the print is hollow, and we made a large hole in the bottom so I could fill it with something to make it more structurally sound. Gypsum was recommended to me. What do you think? And how would you go about sealing the hole?

Thanks again everyone!
  2. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Im not an expert by any means, but I would go with the flat coat of Testors as already suggested see how she looks after its been added.. Im not to sure about adding weight.. What are you thinking as to displaying the piece once its presented.. My first grand daughter is due in November, but I doubt I could afford to do what you have done.. A lovely idea.. Congrats..

Warren.