1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils Hussard du Revolution Trompette

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by MENTAL DENTAL, Oct 21, 2014.

1. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Metal Models, oil over Humbrols.

Bit disappointed with the red even though it was repainted.....can't put my finger on it....:cautious:

Attached Files:

2. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice indeed the red looks fine.

ian
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Contrast maybe :rolleyes:
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice piece. The tone of the red is fine but with the sculpt being rather smooth, there's not much to do to give it any real depth... makes the red seem flat.

Other than that it's a very crisp, clean paintjob.

Well done

Colin
    Wings5797 and Mike Stevens like this.
  5. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think that's it. Highlights tend to 'disappear' in oils as they dry;)
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Reds in oils are a real pain indeed. Other than that, it looks very nicely done.

Xenofon
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am 100% sure it's painted fine. It's excellent from where I'm sat. As you have said, highlights in red can disappear unless they're unrealistically exaggerated. What doesn't help this is the figure is depiected in a clean, smart manner as opposed to a dusty desertt environmant where the man's uniform is on it's last legs.

There is a school of thought that says that there ought not to be highlights in red at all, just degrees of shading.

Bottom line, you've gave us an excellent figure and I hope you enjoyed the process.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I like the red very much as it is.After that compliment David, your going to tell me what undercoat ,and what reds you used or i'll take my compliment back.
    Did you see the 17th century figure by Mike Blank at Euro? His highlights were very understated.
    Brian
  9. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Undercoat was Humbrol but, not the scarlet one the other one!!!!!!Can't remember the lid number right now. I tried to make the shadows darker but, it looks like some Goth film or other doing that!!!:arghh:
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I like your red. I suggest that you can do more shading. Try raw umber. The raw umber acts as a muted green complement to the red.
    Marc
  11. swralph A Fixture

Nicely painted.
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Number 60 David
  13. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Your still turning out fantastic stuff David.How did you get on at Euro?
    Anybody who hasn't seen David's figures in the flesh are in for a treat when you do!
    Wings5797 likes this.
  14. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done David.
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I used to enjoy your modelling articles in Military Modelling (and subsequently in Figurines).
    It's nice to see your Napoleonics again.
    Andrew
  16. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Its turning into a Winter hobby;)
    The Summer I'm more outdoors
  17. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    it looks great indeed, very rich tone of red.
    Perhaps some more contrast but that is personal preference, so, you have done a great job on this one, nothing to regret about the color red.
    Best regards
  18. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really like the job you have done on this and your painting style. The colours look great, very crisp and bold.
    Cheers
    Mat
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I like it and the colours look fine to me.
    Cheers
    John
  20. Manfred Active Member

Your figures always look very believeable to me and the colours in scale. Can't find any fault as much as I try :D