1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP hussar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am thinking this one Huw
    326996DSC2804.jpg or maybe this f009aa30a4b4ad52831a05db9a1c242e.jpg :facepalm: anyway Im off to america so it will need to wait :D
  2. Huw63 A Fixture

I'd go for the shade of the dolman Ron. Chapska I tried to type earlier not cheapskate by the way - f*****g predictive dialler! Anyway the chapska has a very similar blue.

Cheers

Huw
  3. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was wondering :eek: thought it might have been a Welsh translation :D
    The Dolman colour looks good but no idea how to mix it , almost an airforce blue but a tad lighter
    Huw63 likes this.
  4. Huw63 A Fixture

I'm sure that you'll find the right mix Ron.

Cheers

Huw
  5. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Basically with Winsor blue or French Ultramine + white. If you add a little grey, a minute amount of black or some Prussian blue, the blue would get a greyish tone (like RAF bluegrey).

As to the exact proportions: just start mixing and let your eyes decide. I would however advise you to add a small amount of blue to a larger amount of white not the other way around.

Paul
    Eludia likes this.
  6. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    I will do a little mixing later in the day and sent a pic of it
  7. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia

Would this involve a certain blackening product?
  8. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Here are four mixes. From left to right:

White + Winsor blue + a tiny amount of Indigo extra
    White + Winsor blue
    White + Cobalt blue
    White + Cobalt blue + a tiny amount of black

Of course you can change the hues more in the direction of the colour in the pictures which appear a bit lighter and slightly greyish. But this could also be caused by fading of the colour. All colours are from Old Holland execpt Winsor blue.

IMG_20160422_145434.jpg

IMG_20160422_145601.jpg
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul
    Sorry to take so long to respond to your input re this thread I have been out of touch with PF for two weeks due to my visit to New york .. Thanx for the colour suggestions .
    This one seems to be a bit of a minefield re the blue tone as the photo from the empri museum manikin looks very dark and under exposed and the boxart pic is totally over exposed , the uniform in the invalids case does look to be a bit faded but think it is the closest .
    I picked up some super refined oils from Vasari while in New york; video blue and shale should just about get me the tint i want , but I might do him as another regiment :D
    Huw63 likes this.