1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Hurtgen Forest, Autumn 1944 - Part 1, Groundwork

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by NickM, Mar 1, 2016.

1. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi folks,

Here's the groundwork I've just completed for my Alpine 120mm GI. I want to depict him during the Battle of Hürtgen Forest 1944, standing on a captured MG emplacement and being pelted by the miserable Autumn rain.

This is a bit of an experiment with water effects and trying to show rainfall. There's a few close ups of the rain drops on the concrete/puddle, and drops on the tree branches. You can also see the water streaking on the front of the bunker, and droplets on the GI's helmet too.

It's still very early days for the figure. I'm almost done with the face and helmet, just starting on the jacket.

Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Hurtgen_a1.JPG Hurtgen_a2.JPG Hurtgen_a3.JPG Hurtgen_a4.JPG Hurtgen_a5.JPG Hurtgen_b1.JPG Hurtgen_b2.JPG Hurtgen_b3.jpg Hurtgen_b4.JPG
    Nordman, arj, P GREEN and 23 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    The rain drops are amazing as the all scene.
    Keep the good work.

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    NickM likes this.
  3. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Looks like a rainstorm - excellent idea and setting. The soaked look of the uniform will be a challenge. Will follow this one.
    All the best!
    Martin
    NickM likes this.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really like the rain effects - how did you make them? (Rest of the scene looks great too):)

Paul
    NickM likes this.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    The rain effects look great so far and as Martin says if you can pull off the same wet look on the uniform, which I'm sure you will as you've already put in a lot of effort on the groundwork, this will be an exceptional piece of modelling/painting.
    NickM likes this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Amazing groundwork, looking forward to the figure having been painted
    NickM and Nemo like this.
  7. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    NickM, Really like the groundwork and MG nest. You really have enhanced the viewing, interpretation of your figure with the tree, leaves, puddle of water, and mg nest.
    Can't wait to see the Alpine figure completed! It looks outstanding! Very clever presentation!

Thanks for Sharing,

Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society of Atlanta, GA:cool:
    NickM likes this.
  8. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I missed those droplets of rain! Dang that is some technique! Really cool looking presentation...

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society of Atlanta, GA, USA
    NickM likes this.
  9. fermatgom A Fixture

Spain
    Excellent!! I'm just learning how to use wáter effects and your work is really inspiring!! How did you achieve the circular waves in the bottom of the bunker? Simply amazing!
    NickM likes this.
  10. El Tché Well-Known Member

Absolutely brilliant and really inpsiring
    All my congrats ! (y)(y)
    NickM likes this.
  11. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I like it! I have this on the bench. Started cleaning it up not too long ago.
    Joe55 and NickM like this.
  12. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Excellent idea and execution! I'll be following this......
    NickM likes this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    NickM likes this.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    REally like the groundwork.

Marc
    NickM likes this.
  15. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Almost missed the raindrops. Great effect and landscaping overall. I'll eagerly await the completed figure.
    NickM likes this.
  16. ErGide72 A Fixture

Netherlands
    The Hürtgenwald! Yes!!
    Great Scene (and it's not even ready yet...)! Groundwork as well the painting! Please let us know how you did those raindrops! On the bunker as well in the puddle and on the tree; did a little scene in 1/35th scale last year (http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/huertgenwald-1-1.71119/), maybe I redo this seeing this remarkable effect you acieved her. Absolutly superb!(y)(y)

Cheers
    Erik
    NickM likes this.
  17. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Lovely atmospheric work and done with great skill.

Peter.
    NickM likes this.
  18. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That is excellent - he really looks like he's getting drenched. Some of the best groundwork I have seen.
    Cheers
    Mat
    NickM likes this.
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks everyone for looking and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it, and it's motivated me to get on with the next part of the figure.
    Cheers again
  20. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Cheers Martin and Roger. You're both right, the jacket will be tough to paint.
    The best rain effect on clothing I've seen was on this Bill Sykes figure on Putty&Paint. Check out the photo from the back:

http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/1974

I think I'm going to try this technique, perhaps with slightly more rain drop marks.
    Martin64 likes this.