1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed HRH the late Prince Philip , Duke of Edinburgh

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Thought I would start off what will be on my bench next ....from MMM announced here https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/1-9-bust-prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-mmm.346177/

mmm philip.jpeg

Prince_Philip,_Duke_of_Edinburgh_signature.svg.png

me being me decided to also move the neck award ( British Order of Merit ) to hang straighter and not ajar and also add the chain around the neck known as Victorian Chain , using these references

edinburgh_victorian_chain_om.jpg british-order-of-merit.jpg 76643d9d8a50728792517c95e56ba547.jpg

7336146344_86e9718825_o-800x605.jpg HRH-The-Duke-of-Edinburgh-Op-LB-photo.jpg [IMG][IMG] Prince-Philip-768x442.jpg
    philip epaulettes.jpg medals.jpg

download.jpg e4d3564739c59e3a172243855288537d.jpg

.....and a little bit of muttering it now looks like this ( bit iffy pics as I wanted to get this primed )

003.jpg 001 (2).jpg 002.jpg

Stay tuned !!!

This will not be completed for BUGLE CALL this year !!!!

All comments and references welcome !!!

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Sylvanus, Lissorles, Osebor and 13 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    For interest HRH decorations and awards displayed on the day of the funeral at St George's Chapel

[IMG]
    [IMG]

The Order of Merit (top left), The Royal Victorian Chain (top right) and Philip’s Full Size Medal Group (bottom). From left to right, these medals are: Queen’s Service Order, New Zealand; 1939-1945 Star; Atlantic Star; Africa Star; Burma Star; Italy Star; War Medal 1939-1945; King George VI Coronation Medal; Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal; Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal; Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal; Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal’ Royal Navy Long Service & Good Conduct; Canadian Forces Decoration; New Zealand Commemoration Medal; Malta George Cross 50th Anniversary Medal; Greek War Cross; Croix de Guerre with Palm

[IMG]

Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar (left), Brunei Esteemed Family Order (circle) and Singapore Order of Darjah Utama Temasek (right)

[IMG]

Thistle Collar and St Andrew Badge (bottom centre) and the Thistle Breast Star and Badge (centre)

[IMG]

RAF Wings (top left) and Field Marshal’s Baton (across the centre)

[IMG]

Garter Collar and Greater George (bottom centre), Garter Breast Star (top right) and Lesser George (bottom left)

[IMG]

British Empire Collar and Grand Masters Badge (bottom centre) and British Empire Breast Star and Badge (centre)

[IMG]

Royal Victorian Order Collar and Badge (bottom centre) and Royal Victorian Order Breast Star and Badge (centre)

[IMG]

Order of the Elephant [Denmark] (left) and Order of the Redeemer [Greece] (right)

[IMG]

Order of Australian Knight (bottom centre), Order of New Zealand (top left), Order of Canada (top right), Canada Order of Military Merit (bottom left) and Papua New Guinea Order of Logohu (bottom right)
    Reddo, Osebor, Grod and 9 others like this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I was wondering when you would start this and knew it was right up your street with all the medals. Great addition too.
    Nap likes this.
  4. misfit151 A Fixture

Blimey keV you've done your homework....(y) methinks too much time on your hands....;). Looking forward to the painting. Mike
    Nap likes this.
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice adjustments on the medals Kevin.
    Look forward to seeing the paint application.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Nap likes this.
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You still need the cap!

Mike
    Nap likes this.
  7. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Great references, looking forward to seeing how you get on..
  8. Oda A Fixture

Great likeness to the actual person plus some outstanding research by Kevin.What's not to like? Will follow with great interest.

Oda.
    Nap likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Super references as usual Nap. The changes re the decorations add that individual touch you like to bring to your pieces and looking forward to seeing him painted.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work on the 'necklace', have to say the first medal on the bar has a very Germanic look to it.
    Nap likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England

NZ Queens Service order

IMG_1858.JPG

Ribbon should be interesting to paint up

Thanks to all for commenting

Nap
    Oda and Chris Oldfield like this.
  12. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

Thanks, yep you could do with a small flat tipped brush
    Nap likes this.
  13. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking forward to this one Kev, up to your usual standard of detail fettling.
    Nap likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Henk

Thanks for looking in .....I enjoy a bit of fettling ....lol ....always good to have you there ....currently basecoating ....HRH does not look good just with light gray eyes !

Looking forward to the ribbons on this ...first thing I wil do ....just a small matter of a lot of Lace on my Chasseur to do ....but so tempted to go for HRH

Hope to catch up with you soon

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  15. tjfromdevon Member

Typically you Kev........all medals and no legs! I expect it will meet your usual high standards tho:)
    Nap likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England

Cheers tj ....hows the horses coming along on that small project ........more legs than I would know what to do with

No legs = paint saved

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  17. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    medals, medals ... i see medals everywhere !
    nice start Nap :)
    Nap likes this.
  18. VisjeMar A Fixture

You can eat your heart out with those metals.

Good luck
    Nap likes this.
  19. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    So did the Prince himself.

Years ago, I got to visit Baden-Wuerttemberg as part of a Rotary exchange, and among the members of one of the chapters was Friedrich Karl, Hereditary Prince of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg. When I first met him, I was struck by a resemblance; they could have been brothers or at least, close cousins. I wasn't too surprised, thought. I figured there was probably a good deal of shared blood between the Battenbergs and the Hohenlohes, even if it went back a long way.

Apologies for the name-dropping, too. But Friedrich Karl was a real...prince, as we would say. He collected toy soldiers, too, and he was kind enough to give me a copy of a booklet he had written on the Hohenlohe military, from the 1500s to the Napoleonic Wars.

Prost!
    Brad
    dfmoss and Nap like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

Began working on this ...all primed and basecoated ...the medals will be the first area I do

Looking forward to getting this on the bench

Thanks for looking

Nap

IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG
    Osebor, Scott Sheltz, Oda and 2 others like this.