1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How To Guides Vol.1 - Painting Females Figures & Busts Step by Step

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Stelios Demiras, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    How To Guides Vol.1 - Painting Females Figures & Busts Step by Step
    The Girls Are Here by Christos Katselos

The Publisher’s Introduction To “How To Guides” Volume 1

At Mr Black Publications we’ve recently completed the first in a new series of “How to Guides” resulting in this first volume… It’s the 41st Scale Model Handbook we’ve published to date.

We’re very excited about this new series of books, which will cover the many techniques need to make better models! We’ll cover a lot of the popular subjects in this great hobby of scale modelling, and this first volume by Christos Katselos shows how to paint female miniature figures and busts, revealing all his secrets on how he paints female miniature figures. There are 11 chapters in this book where you’ll find all the necessary information for the preparation, assembly and painting of female figures, using the latest techniques and tools. The book offers nine themes; five in great detail with a lot of step-by-step pictures over eight pages, plus the introduction, preparation and assembly, aimed specifically at newcomers.

All of the painting was done using acrylic paints from the well-known Spanish company, Vallejo Acrylics. Christos used about 65 different colours - 54 “Model Color”, seven “Panzer Aces”, one “Model Air”, three “Game Color” and one “Metal Color” to add a variety of colours for painting and to lessen any repetition.

The first 52 pages are devoted to a lot of step-by-step projects with around 195 illustrations enabling the reader to easily understand and follow the sequences. The remainder of the book has another four articles with more photos of finished models with the necessary descriptive texts.

A big thank you must go to Christos Katselos, a great artist, for giving us the opportunity to publish his work and share his secrets. Special thanks are also due, in no particular order, to Pietro Balloni, Luca Marchetti, Alex Vallejo, Darren Parker-Mead, Man Jin Kim, Alexey Lucanev, Fernando Vallejo, Taesung Harmms, Andrew Cairns, Young B. Song, Dae-Hyeong Kim, Ju Won Jung, Paul Ondeck, Sang-Eon Lee, Yannis Papadopoulos and last, but not least, our English Text Editor Ken Jones.

We hope you enjoy our latest edition!
    Stelios Demiras
    Editor /Publisher

4 Chapter I - Introduction

7 Chapter II - Preparing and Assembling a Resin Miniature
    Bad Blood 2 Fictional Universe 75mm - 75mm (1/24)

12 Chapter III - Painting
    Bad Blood 2 Fictional Universe 75mm (1/24)

20 Chapter IV - Stand Alone - Fictional Universe - Painting a Female Fantasy Figure Using Vallejo Acrylics - 150mm (1/12)

32 Chapter V - Voodoo Lady
    How to Paint a Dark Female Skin Tone,
    Some Difficult Cloth Patterns and Accessories with Vallejo Acrylics - 130mm (1/14)

42 Chapter VI - Surrounded!
    Painting a “Fictional Universe” Bust... Female and Puppy in a Full Action Pose - 180mm (1/10)

52 Chapter VII - Painting Eyes
    Painting the Eyes of Life Miniatures’
    Princess Grace of Monaco Bust in 10 Easy Steps Using a Limited Colour Palette - 180mm (1/10)

54 Chapter VIII - “Arrow Girl” Zeppelin Defence Commander Yumiko
    Painting an Asian Female Fantasy Figure - 120mm (1/16)

58 Chapter IX - “Die Fledermaus” Lt Kati Otersdorf
    Painting a Fantasy Female Aviator with Acrylics - 120mm (1/16)

62 Chapter X - “Subway Wind” - A Wonderful World Series Figure
    Painting a Well-Known Female Personality Using Acrylics - 54mm (1/32)

64 Chapter XI - ‘Bye Bye Baby’ - Marilyn Monroe’s USO tour of Korea in 1954
    Panting a Large-Scale Female Bust with Fair Complexion - 180mm (1/10)

A4 FORMAT
    68 PAGES
    BINDING
    MATT LAMINATED COVER
    Suggested Retail Price 24.95 Euros

For orders visit www.mrblackpublications.com or your local shop/dealer
    Or click the link here!
    1_A_FRONT_COVER_HOW_TO_Vol1_KATSELOS_BIG.jpg 1_B_BACKCOVER_HOW_TO_Vol1_KATSELOS_BIG.jpg
    Mike - The Kiwi and Babelfish like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great idea for a how-to. To date I've only ever painted ONE female figure, and I wasn't happy with the result. I have a few more waiting in the stash, and I might pick this volume up for some inspiration and pointers.

- Steve
  3. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Steve,
    Christos has analyzed his approach on painting fair skin and he used about 65 different Vallejo codes so none mix is the same with other. I enjoyed very much reading the book and I must admit that the Articles in SBS are more than enough to show the procedure and easy to follow! Also the eyes painting is very important. We made the details very big so to see any tiny paint brush! Chapter_2_Prep&Assembly_p7-113.jpg Chapter_7_EYES_p52-53.jpg Chapter_5_Voodoo_p32-413.jpg Chapter_4_StandAlone_p20-313.jpg
    grasshopper likes this.
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Giving it a try Stelios...looks to have new content not a reprint of prior articles..
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  5. Stelios Demiras A Fixture

Greece
    The only books that included old articles in Themes are the Theme Collections Special Editions, 84 pages. And we inform the customers about that. They are High End Digital Prints, more expensive but more affordable considering the circulation numbers of the offsets. And believe it or not these are selling better than Figure Modelling Series.
    I think the new series in techniques will be best Sellers. By the way if you missed the Painting Guide Vol.1....I had a few left....Also the distributors....
    Christos work is awesome!

Happy Holidays to All
    Stelios
  6. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    I did purchase that one..good you have distributors..it’s still faster, chapeau to purchase direct.if I buy anything from US apostate is more than double any other country