1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How to blend Scale Colour

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by Hilbert, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Hilbert New Member

Hi There all,

Since I'm new here (made my post earlier in the welcome forum), I have a question about the Scale75 paints.

They paint lovely but, I have some trouble with blending. As this is much thicker then Vallejo's I found out that there must be an other technique to blend the paint together. In other words, I don't get a smooth transition (yet).

With Vallejo's I use(d) the " dot technique", placing little dots with a small brush (00). But this seemed not to work with Scale75 paints.

Can someone help me out how to get smooth transitions woth Scale75 paints?

Thanks in advance!

Hilbert
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    This might help Hilbert.(y)
    zane666 likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I have only used these paints a little but find them more oily than Vallejos. The carrier and pigment separate easily and take a hell of a lot of shaking to get them back together. I get reasonable success by painting light over dark, not with blending. Hope that helps.

Colin
  4. Hilbert New Member

So I asume that glazing is a form of a filter, as used in armor modelling (which I also do)? I have put those agitator balls in the bottles, shake it twice and its mixed again. I will try both suggestions. Thanks!
  5. Silverb New Member

Hey Hilbert,

Just wanna add my two cents here in case it could be of help. When you do the glazing technique, be mindful of how 'far away' the two colours you are trying to blend together. This is a bit of a simplistic example, if say you laid down pure white and pure black next to each other and try to 'blend' them using glazes, I can almost guarantee you that you will achieve a less than satisfactory result. Either that or, you will end up spending a hell of a lot of time doing it. Instead, you should lay down intermediaries of 'in between' colours, like grey. It's much easier to glaze-blend colours that are closer together.

Another thing is make sure that the agitator balls you inserted into the paint is either coated, of a medical grade stainless steel, or of some inert material that will not corrode. Corrosion will "instakill" your paint, rendering it useless.

Hope it helps.
    Shawn