1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

how may w.i.p. figures on bench at one time ?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by jim1215, Sep 11, 2017.

1. jim1215 Active Member

United-States
    good afternoon , i wanted to ask members of this site how many figures are you working on at one time . i always wanted to just start on one figure and work to completion but sure enough i have 4 or 5 started , first my quest to get faces at ;east to my liking so i enjoy doing a few diffrent heads at one time , i wouldnt say i get bored with one figure but maybe because theres so many i want to get to , thanks for reading and would love some opinions , thanks jim
    garyhiggins, John Bowery and peedee like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim, I have two on the go at this time, although a while back I just worked on one to completion.
    It may change again as time goes on, with so many lovely figures comming out.
    Cheers
    garyhiggins, John Bowery and peedee like this.
  3. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've heard from oil painters that they'll often have a number of projects just so they can keep painting one while waiting for the rest to dry.

As for me, even though I paint with acrylics, I still tend to have a variety of figures in the works. Right now I've got 5 in various states but with the intention that I will finish them all. There's also a larger number of figures I started but doubt I will ever return to for one reason or another (so they're not included in the 5).

My reason for the multiple projects is usually because I'll get stuck on something, some aspect of a figure that I'm not sure how I want to do or am having trouble with. So often I'll set the piece aside and work on other stuff until I've come up with a solution and can go back to it. Painting should be enjoyable, so if I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall, better to take a break and work on something else. The other reason is sometimes I'll decide to paint a figure 'just for fun' but a deadline for a competition or commission is approaching and I need to set the 'just for fun' piece aside and focus on something else.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I'm a oilpainter and most at the time I have two on the go.

Marc
    John Bowery, peedee and Viking Bob like this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have 14 on the bench.
    3 commissions,
    2 of my own projects,
    4 being painted for future deadline at Scale Model World for a themed display,
    The others are things I tinker about with whilst at Model shows in Demo.
    It doesn't seem a lot to me I have had more than that in a production line before today.
    John Bowery, Viking Bob and valiant like this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Five figures at the moment and a 1/48 scale Spitfire. :eek:
  7. swralph A Fixture

I have one on the go.I can only ever work on one at a time.
    Every figure I start gets completed before I start another one.:)
  8. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Im like Ralph - for painting, one at a time. A different story with sculpting, however, with 6 on the go at last count!(y)
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Only two singletons at present. I'm going to keep it at that level for a bit, I think. Always lots of things I'd like to work on, but I'd never get them all done!!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Those were the days, I don't know what happened. :confused:
  11. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    two right now... a bust which I am putting the last touch on and one 75 mm knight which is 75% completed
    John Bowery and peedee like this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    A dozen or more, and a dozen or more scale models going at once.

Short attention span. And the Internet has only made it worse.

Prost!
    Brad
  13. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Too embarrassed to say.:shy:
    Chris
  14. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    I'm full of good intent but sometimes it's the next shiny object (re: new release) that distracts me. Usually two under the brush at any one time but the grey army standing in line....well that's a different story:rolleyes:
    moore and John Bowery like this.
  15. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    I paint in oils and I only have 1 figure at the bench at any one time.

Since I mainly use Old Holland paint, add quick drying mediums to for example printers inks and dry parts under an Ikea lamp with a 100 w bulb I have reduced drying time to almost nothing.

An new figure comes on the bench only when a project is completely finished:)
    John Bowery likes this.
  16. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Working on the "Roll Call" at present, with a few other figures that can utilise the same palette of colours. I'm resisting starting on some Napoleonics, and I find that difficult. Called a halt to any more Romans; that is, until I see something that grabs my imagination:rolleyes:

Alan
    John Bowery likes this.
  17. jim1215 Active Member

United-States
    thanks for the input , love hearing whats on everyones bench , sometimes a figure i just been dabbling with becomes something alot more interesting than when i started it , cheers jim
    John Bowery and billyturnip like this.
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I'm with Ralph, Valiant and Rossbach. One at a time but eagerly looking forward to the next and planning?
    Cheers
    John
    rossbach likes this.
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If you include horses as well I can immediately think of 32, then I will need to do a Roll Call:depressed:. Oh dear, if I do a roll call I could have 50 shades of grey:LOL:
    anyone have a spare painting octopus they can loan out.
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Update, primed two more yesterday.

[IMG]
    Paul Kernan likes this.