1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How Many Models on the Go?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Reccymech, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Reccymech New Member

Australia
    Currently on one figure model at the moment, or actually in the closing phases. I started on another figure - bust - which has been in my collection for years, actually started prepping it, in addition I've started prepping a figure (another bust) which come in the mail.

My question is I know I'm still learning - do we ever stop? - this fantastic modeling discipline, is having say 3 figures on the go reasonable. For me as I'm trying to develop the techniques, and with work commitments I'm finding that my time allowable for my hobby is limited so I'm attempting a couple of models concurrently.

I know a bit of a long winded question, but I'm just curious, as to concentrate on one or 'spread' the talent.
  2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    For me, it's too easy to start a project, then another, then another, etc...

So right now, I am disciplining myself to completing two sculpted busts, and one resin figure that needs some painting.

I do admit, the excitement of a new idea striking is almost too much to resist, so instead of oscillating beween a started project or completing a new one, I draw/ sketch the idea down.

I also have a 'hack' piece of putty, just ofr warm up practice or experimentation....

so far, I have still limited myself to three....

.......provided you don't start counting the partially done figures in the drawer marked "Tomb of the part done figure" :whistle:

Cheers

Jamie
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    You will find that most guys here will have a lot more than that on the go. I personally have about five, but only two are being seriously worked on, the others are jsut sitting until I get the urge to do more on them, mainly because they are at a sticky point.
    Ben
  4. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I try very hard to narrow my figure projects down to one or two at a time these days. I have so many interests and pursuits that it can get out of hand, even when kept to that conservative number.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I've been painting figures for years and always have at least 10 figures / busts in progress at one time. This way I can spend a whole day painting and not have to stop and wait for a step to dry.....I just move on to another figure.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    most at the time I have two figures on the go and 1 in preparation.

Marc
  7. cinimod Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I have three on the go at the moment plus one undercoated. Any more and it leads me to loose the plot a bit and i seem to get bored with a particular figure............dominic
  8. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    i had three figures sitting around totally underpainted for some time. i`ve been chipping away and i have to do the face on a bust and i`ll finally have finished them. then,and only then, i will start a new figure. from now on, it`s start to finish. bill
  9. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    currently finishing a bust that was one of three figures all underpainted and ready to go for some time. when the bust is done, then i will start a new figure. from now on, it`s start to finish!
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    6+ I just start far too many.:confused: Then something else comes out, or enters my mind then it's another.
    Carl.
  11. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I usually have about 10 going at once. I like having a bunch going so I switch while the putty or paint is drying.
    Gerald.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    For most of the past 40 years I've been a "buy one-make one" type of modeller.

The discipline of not starting a new figure until the old one was finished, taught me to finish each model as completely as possible, rather than rush the final steps.

I can certainly see how many modellers can have multiple figures on the go simultaneously, but it's not a system I favour.

Over the past 3-4 years, I've completed approximately 12-15 figures each year, and consequently my display cabinets are filling up quickly.;)

I've resolved to take my time and be more patient, and hopefully get the most enjoyment I can from each figure, before I move on to the next.
  13. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    On my bench I have three kits at any given time. Two are cleaned and primed and one is being painted. I only paint one kit at time. I like to complete it and move onto one of the cleaned and primed kits.
    If I get some downtime and don't feel like painting I will try to clean a new figure to replace the one that I just started.