1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How learnt you has to paint?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by michelange, Sep 17, 2004.

1. michelange Member

France
    It can seem surprising, but it has been a long time since I ask this question, how to learn to paint well?? As a lot, I began by buying books with many pictures (spain magazine euromodelismo ) on the acrylic painting (because I am allergic to solvents necessary for the oil painting!!) and to paint only at home.
    I had an enormous surprise, when I went for the first time in simple visitor to a competition. All the figurines seemed to me more beautiful the some than the others. I took photos. I looked them every day and even in the night before sleeping and thought that I had a lot of work still....
    Has this moment, I was disappointed because each discussed in small groups her technique, the painters in the oil on one side, those in the acrylic of the other one, the painters "history" and the "fantastic" painters also separated, and especially no professor.I believed that the painters of a club was a big family, but there was no cohesion :( .
    Today I try to progress with the advices on the Internet forums, (lilliput model and planet figure) but the quality of the photo or the monitor or the 2 make that even if it's good explained, it's not easy to understand, more if it's not its native language. I think that nothing can really replace the learning with trues lessons in a workshop or in a training.
    It is certainly there that we learn to put indeed the good shadows and highlight, to well dilute the painting ... Regrettably for me, I don't still have to find of training in France, there is one in Spain, with as professor H. Chacon, the dream for an apprentice acrylic painter. Can be that I shall have to take holidays in Spain … :) I hope that my English was understandable, now it belongs to you to answer, how learns to paint? and how you learnt?
    Bruno
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Bruno, mon ami,You learn to paint by practicing, experimenting with different techniques, studying other people’s works and most important asking lots of questions.
    As you progress you will slowly develop your own technique to the point that when somebody sees you’re work, they will automatically say, this is Bruno’s figure, without reading the name card.
    The Idea is at first to use other people’s techniques and add your own ideas to it, until you have developed your own style.
    In the Planet we have many talented painters and sculptors who will help you with any questions you may have, all you have to do is ask.
    By the way your English is ok, I can understand very well.

Aurevoir,

Roc,
  3. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    The best way to learn how to paint is by watching good modelers actually paint. Nothing is better than first-hand experience to actually "see" the subtle processes and techniques that we read about in books and magazine articles. This is why I constantly advocate including demonstrations (not slide shows) at figure shows and competitions.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I totally agree with Roc and Steven. I have been painting for over 30 years and I am still learning. The best way is to watch others and ask question after question. I quite often get together with other painters and learn alot by just watching them paint in their style. My own style is the accumulative techniques from many painters, which developed into my own style. Attend every and any painting seminar that you can possibly get to.

Not all clubs are the same as far as the cliques that they tend to form. If there are other clubs close to you, try to attend some of their meetings.

I guess the best thing is to paint paint paint. The more practice and figures you paint, the more experience you will accumulate and each figure will improve.
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Bruno!

I too was in same situation as you when I lived in Sweden. I was a member of the local SPHF club (Swedish Tank Historical Association), where all but one or two was either armor modelers or aircraft modelers. I always liked the figures though for some reason, and when I moved to the states in May of '99 I found HMForum on the net and got hooked up with John Long who introduced me to the Tulsa crowd (HMSNEo_Org). I really never got to much instruction from anyone, more like feed back and a lot of experimenting, but I drew a lot of inspiration and motivation from the Tulsa meetings and the shows. Although I have only been to 4 major shows in the States and they are a great source for motivation!

Lately John Long, Bryon Ray and my self have been getting together once a month, and it has also helped a lot, in smaller meetings like this one gets a lot more feedback and more direct critisisms which is much easier to follow.

I also learned from books, more the motivation and inspiration to try harder then acctual techniques.

To me the best help have been the forums like HM Forum and pF, where else can you get feedback quickly and if you are wondering about a technique and post a question you will often get several different ways to get the same result, and then you can try each, mix them together and sooner then you know you have created "your own" way of doing the same thing.

Isn't internet a wonderful thing!
  6. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    Salut, Bruno,

Moi, comme plusieurs parmis, j'ai commencé tout seul. Avec le temps j,ai découvert le magasine Figurine et s'est inspiré beaucoup de ses articles et photos. chaque fois que je voyageais en Russie, j'essayais rencontrer les sculpteurs ou les peintres pour poser les questions, pour avoir leurs opinions sur mes figurines. Puis j'ai découvert Internet où je puise non seulement les références historiques mais aussi les conseil et les astuces sur la peinture eu la conversion. Pour mieux comprendre les articles j'ai commencé à les traduire au russe ou le français. Mais la chose la plus importante reste ton expérience. C'est après avoir essayer 10, 20, 30 fois de reproduire la peau ou la cuire ou un autre élément que tu commence à comprendre comment il faut le faire pour être satisfait du résultat.
  7. MSzwarc New Member

Bruno,

I have a similar problem. I live in a very rural area, 80 miles from the nearest large city. I'm not aware of anyone in my area that paints figures, so I must learn on my own. I use books, magazines, and the internet as sources for instruction, but photographs are not the same as watching someone else paint, or seeing well done figures in person. I haven't yet been able to get to a show to see other people's work up close.

While I do rework figures I'm not happy with, I do try to make a finish to a figure at some point, so as not to become frustrated, and feel as though I'm going to be painting the same figure forever. This also allows me to at least have my own previous work to compare each new figure to, and I can say that I see some improvement as I go along, which is encouraging. Still, it would be nice to see the work of others first hand, and to be able to watch a painting demonstration. For that, I guess I'll just have to wait until my schedule allows me to attend the Tulsa show.

Mike
  8. jaime Member

Spain
    Bruno, I am not a good painter. Forums like this or Lilliput are the best way to learn. When I don't know how to do, for example, a mix, I always find help here.
    I have read a lot of books and magazines about painting and I learnt many things. But watching other people's works, asking them questions, reading their answers.
    But I think everybody have learnt from their own mistakes.

jaime
  9. Brad S Member

Bruno,

I ditto what everyone has said so far. I was once an armor builder and somehow fell in love with figures. Haven't built armor since. Most my techniques are from magazines, this forum, and most of all experimenting. sometimes frustrating, and sometimes ecstatic. I dont limit myself to just historical magazines. Even though they are much bigger in size (the figures) I still have a subscription to Amazing Figure Magazine, and Modelers Resource. they have some techniques that can be applied also to smaller figures. One issue was dedicated to the female body. Hope this helps.

Brad Spelts
  10. michelange Member

France
    Dear all,
    Thanksfor your answers.
    Nobody knows the truth, but when a lot of people says the same thing, we can reasonably think that it is the good way..
    Wherever we are, we ask every the same questions and we find every the same answers.
    Paint still and always, practice, read a lot of book, studying other people’s works , to go to at shows and demonstrations, member at this forum :) .
    The ultimate purpose: please and create, find his own style.
    It is the secret of the happiness for us.
    Bruno