1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How do you research prices?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by FlaBtl (Sfl) 606, Jan 3, 2022.

1. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany
    Hello together!

I have a bit of a strage question:
    How do you guys research prices for your figures when you want to sell them?

Especially for 1:16 / 120mm figures which are loooooong oop with nearly zero sells in ebay the last 5 years?

Because Im helping a friend selling his collection of figures. There are some very long oop from fort royal etc. / diotech (long oop germany company) etc.

Sometimes people want for the old fort royal ones more than 100 pounds and thats just rediculus in my opinion.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

My feelings ...you have to be very realistic, people will buy only if they are below retail and totally original

All like a bargain , being OOP is not a guarantee of a good price

My thoughts only

Nap
    FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 likes this.
  3. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whatever you are selling is only worth whatever anyone will pay for them. If things are OOP, it doesnt necessarily translate into higher prices and things that we perceive to be of high value generally arent! Just be realistic and dont ask stupid money. If the sell quickly, then theyre probably cheaper than people were expecting, if they dont sell quickly, then theyre probably too expensive!!(y)
    theBaron, Martin64 and Nap like this.
  4. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Agree with Nap and Valiant. I see some Verlinden 120mm going for ridiculous prices now they are OOP and not selling. OOP doesn’t mean they are sought after, as many have already been sold to those who wanted the particular figure, and there are so many good, high quality new figures in the market, If the aim is to sell them, rather than recoup the outlay or make a profit, then set a price that will attract a buyer quickly. Look at what the new figures in the same scale are selling for and price your figures at an attractive price below those prices,
    DaddyO, FlaBtl (Sfl) 606, Nap and 3 others like this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    OOP means nothing.....desirability means everything.... otherwise it's a crap shoot.

Wayne
  6. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    The good thing if you're going to sell via ebay, is that you in Bavaria are in EU meaning that except for UK buyers they will be no custom charges . If you go via ebay, please give us your link .
    I bought/buy some 120mm circa 15 - 25€ on ebay so as already said; goes on auction at raisonable prices, I would say no more than 1/3; 1/2 of actual price for a 120mm ( by the way some Fort Royal are now produced by TLB )
    Chrisr and FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 like this.
  7. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    IMHO it depends if a once popular miniature is now OOP people will still spend some money on a figure they might have missed or want to give it another try. Otherwise the quality of the sculpt might be a factor for the price level. But I have seen several OOP figures that are relisted again and again because the seller asks a collectors price that no one is willing to pay. Fort Royal and Diotech had their time but many of their kits cannot compete with today's standards and therefore I don't see the chance to sell them at a high level price. Cheers Martin
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As has been stated above, OOP is not a guarantee of a high price. There are far more figures available today than there were twenty or thirty years ago, and by and large, the sculpting has improved with time. If a current 120mm resin foot figure is being sold new for c. £30 and a mounted figure for £60, then an OOP figure unless spectacularly good, is unlikely to sell for more.

Good luck,

Mike
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    There is a French member of the form who labels everything on Ebay as OOP or HTF Hard to find........many of the items hang around for ages so the label becomes meaningless.

As others have stated, if you use an auction site then the item will find its own level. I find if you ask a fair price items will sell, ask too much and you may get lucky or end up with a lot of unsold kits.

At the end of the day there is no perfect answer to your question.
    Helm, FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 and Nap like this.
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Much has been said already. Fully agree with the above.

Many OOP products are simply obsolete and outdated and only have sentimental value to a few suckers.

If you can sell at roughly half Ebay asking prices, take the deal is my advice.
  11. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    You ask to much and usualy the buyers stop looking, you ask fair price ( low ) and auction begins, I have seen pieces sold sometime 10x the asked price ... The price looks low they put a price, then another and the fisrt one say no no the price is good and bid higher the ... It begin to play with the ego of the buyer ( no, not for him but fot me )
    And here you have a good customer base 1000th of members so let us know when you go on ebay ...
    Best
  12. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I hope I will hit the right prices. When Im ready with the figures I will post them here first.
    Martin64, Mirofsoft and Nap like this.
  13. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany
    Oh boys here we go... Today arrived 2 parcels with figure kits .. and more to come...
    Luckily is tomorrow a public holiday where I can sort things and maybe list the first kits..
    d3942694-849e-476d-9602-466ca767962e.jpg e61a996f-55bc-45da-a5e7-045de0f4d304.jpg eb32b3a4-b04e-4e3d-b720-d29538b2569d.jpg
  14. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    HI Patrick,
    at the end of the day, the price should reflect what the seller bought the kit for in the first place and how much he wants to off load the same.. If profit is the main goal, then the figures may never sell..
    The figures Ive sold, have not made a profit due to the additional costs of postage when I initially bought them...
    Good luck with the selling...
    Even the guys on here have trouble off loading figures due to them not always being sort after.

Smithy
    FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Patrick

That's a lot of boxes ! ...if I was selling for instance the Dragon £10 would be a good price to get ....still might not sell there's also the shipping to add onto cost

Verlinden ......no guarantee it will sell of course ....again about the same as dragon .....

I hasten to add my thoughts only

Look forward to seeing the listing

Nap

UPDATE ....there's a Canadian guy on social media pricing the Dragon pieces at C$10 each plus shipping
  16. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Exemple : Dragon Normandy, normal shop price today 16.99, it's a 1/16 kit
    https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10258363
    Importing from Bavaria to UK, they will pay VAT and import duties the same as from Japan and those VaT and taxes are calculated not only on the piece but also on transport costs . That's why with my deepest regrets, we in EU are not buying in UK anymore .
    On the other hand, EU buying from Bavaria on ebay, there will be no import taxes of even VAT

And for Verlinden, they are OOPS since less than 5 years, there is still stock in lot of shops, and on ebay, they propose more tan 800 products, so problems on availability are not so huge
  17. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany

Hi Nap please have in mind that shipping bigger sets of dragon boxes from canada always means big shipping costs.
    Nap likes this.
  18. FlaBtl (Sfl) 606 Active Member

Germany