1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How do you hold large scale horses when painting?

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Vincent Z, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Vincent Z Member

So I just started this hobby a month or so ago.

I went right into the deep end of the water and started with a few cavalry figures.

And I find that it is very hard to find a way to hold horses on any painting handles (I trust I need not explain why it is, but can expand on the point if asked).

And when I hold it with my hand there are sometimes paints peeling off on the most exposed/protruding areas of the horse (maybe I didn't apply enough primer?). Also if I use oil paint (which I think is fantastic for painting horses), I'll just smudge paints all over if I hold the horse by itself.

Now I've started my first 120mm cavalry figure for my project I just want to ask if there is any wisdom on how to hold large scale horses so I don't damage the paint...
    Oda likes this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Make some metal pins into the hooves, drill some hole into a wooden block and glue the pins into the holes in the wooden block.
    That's all.

Marc
    Oda and theBaron like this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Make some metal pins into the hooves, drill some hole into a wooden block and glue the pins into the holes in the wooden block.
    That's all.

Marc
    Vincent Z and MCPWilk like this.
  4. Vincent Z Member

That's a great idea. Just bought some soft wood block and will try this tomorrow.

Thank you!
    Oda and Nap like this.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    The same technique is useful for holding a foot figure for painting, too. I'll drill a hole in a figure's foot, for example, insert a pin of stiff wire (sometimes an actual straight pin) and glue it (usually just white glue), and then stick this into a wine bottle cork as a holder. And since I usually have several figures going at one time, I took a piece of a 2x4 and drilled holes in it (with a spade bit) to fit the corks into.

I also got myself one of those holders that consists of a wooden handle and a metal table with 2 halves that open and close with a screw. The table has holes milled in it, and uses small metal pegs to hold a piece. I use that with figures that already have a base attached. But I like the cork system better.

Prost!
    Brad
    Oda likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I made them myself.
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/making-a-holder.37077/
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I made them myself
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/making-a-holder.37077/