1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How Do You Figure Out Scales ???

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by TWOMOONS, Sep 4, 2009.

1. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the input and the numbers info, but I don't agree at all with the other responses.
    I'm still not going to notice eye color and optic detail if a person is somewhere down the road walking towards me and is about 2 1/4 " high in my field of vision, even if I obviously know the person has eye color. This sounds like "if a tree falls in the forest" thing a bit. But of course--- I'll paint it.
    It's all a matter of opinion anyway, and it's all abstract , like Bonehead wrote.
    When I started painting miniatures, I loved Lasset figures, because they had a huge range of ancients. Even though they all kind of had an "Easter Island" monolith look to them. The Soldier Shop Express for me every Saturday to NYC to buy them.
    When John Tassel did a shirtless warrior, like a Gaul, etc., he sculpted them with closed pectoral muscles.
    Now, back then, I don't think it's possible to get that closed pec look without modern training equipment...not that closed, anyway.
    But they looked great I thought.
    To me, there's absolutely nothing wrong with certain "artisic license"; it's what artists do all the time anyway...and it goes on with figures, just as well.
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

Yes of course, I didn't suggest you could. What I was getting at was the detail is still present in that eye 30 feet away. It's just that one can't see it, right? So it's not much different to viewing a painted eye, much smaller than the real eye, at an appropriate distance so it's around the same size in the visual field.

I'm not saying you should paint that way, I'm saying you can. Something along these lines is one of the things that some painters aim for - holding the figure out at arm's distance periodically to check that all that detail work they're putting in isn't too much, too noticeable from further away.

Einion