1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

How do you clean dusty figures

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Banjer, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Banjer A Fixture

England
    I have a cabinet full of models, some of which I did up to 45 years ago.
    Some are looking tired and dusty, just a light film that dulls the overall appearance.
    I read somewhere to just run them under the tap, not something I am prepared to try.
    Any suggestions on how to give them a spruce up?

Cheers

Bill
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there Bill

I use a make up blusher brush ,very soft but still do it gently

Personally would not use a tap !

Nap image.jpeg
  3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    One of those compressed air cans for cleaning out computer keyboards should do the trick.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I was going to recommend both of the above. It is also important to make the cabinets as dust proof as possible. I have over 600 figures in 7 cabinets. Water is your enemy so l wouldn't recommend that route. My cabinets will go about 7/8 years without needing any attention apart from cleaning the glass.

Keith
    R Dominick and Banjer like this.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Problem is that old dust is very fine and somewhat greasy. In my experience it is not blown off, and working it with any brush will just smear it. The more grease in there, the glossier the result.
    I do have good experience with cleaning with water. Not under the tap though, but careful local brushing with a broad brush moistened (not wet) with water and a tiny bit of soap, or cleaning vinegar to dissolve the grease. Work very controlled and local and start in out-of-view areas to test how the paintwork responds. It’s vert tedious, but I’ve been happy with results.
    Banjer likes this.
  6. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I've had good results with the big make-up brushes but you have to be a bit careful with delicate parts. Bill, you've still got figures you did 45 years ago - that is impressive(y) I can remember judging figures that had cobwebs on 'em!

Phil
    Blind Pew, Banjer and Nap like this.
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Blusher brush as suggested above, combined with an air duster aerosol can or even better, blast with compressed air from an empty airbrush for a more localised result (also you can adjust the air pressure higher or lower for stubborn areas, which you can’t do with an aerosol can).
  8. nig-g Active Member

......or one of those air puffer brushes that photographers use to clean lenses?
    N
    OldTaff, Banjer, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  9. Banjer A Fixture

England
    My son-in-law gave me a micro-fibre brush which I am going to try. It's a bit large and unwieldy but I'll see how I get on.
    Ordered some of the spray cleaner cans and make up brush so will try them when they arrive.

Thanks for all the constructive comments. (Loved the one about competition entries with cobwebs.):ROFLMAO:

Bill
    Airkid likes this.
  10. Graham A Fixture

England
    Have to say that at my skill level, a good layer of dust improves the look of my painting:(
    Nap, Davidf, OldTaff and 2 others like this.
  11. Banjer A Fixture

England
    It's called weathering, pretend you meant it;)

Bill
    Nap, Mirofsoft, Airkid and 2 others like this.
  12. Graham A Fixture

England
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
  13. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

If you have a "floral" groundwork that does benefit from an Airbrush with a very fine water mist, but for figures, a Make Up brush is good. Ray
  14. Davidf Member

Australia
    600 figures????? Holy crap!
    Nap likes this.
  15. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I second using makeup brushes, and compressed air. I have even used my airbrush and compressor, on the lowest possible setting.

Prost!
    Brad