1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Horse studies. 54mm horse conversions

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Apr 18, 2015.

1. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy

great Colin,

I agree with you about the practice, do it with historex and Airfix horses are absolutely cheaper than with Eisembach or other brand horses.

Airfix selection isn't so large, historex is better but not really easy to be modified for same pose.

anyway, pay attention to the comparison between the pictures and the plastic horses . an incorrect leg change completely the attitude.

here attached an example of historex modified horses coraz Waterloo086.jpg
    Jaybo, Wings5797, pgarri27 and 4 others like this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    In Bill Horan's masterclass book he has a section on modifying Historex horse's for a diorama of the 16th Lancers. What I do like about the plastic horse's light weight is they lend themselves to really extreme action poses.

First I have to make them right before I get too fancy.

Colin
    Jaybo, Wings5797 and tiberius57 like this.
  3. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Colin and all,

This is a very nice and interesting thread for me. I share with you a page taken from an old book "Modelling Miniature Figures" by Bruce Quarrie, PSL, which is on modelling Airfix plastic horses.

Rgds Victor

qu4.jpg
    Mat Lambert, ChaosCossack and MCPWilk like this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all
    An update on the horse mods... I tweaked the right front legs forward about 15-20 degrees from vertical. The left front leg was straightened some at the knee to appear to be unfolding and kicking forward.
    DSC01847.JPG DSC01848.JPG DSC01849.JPG DSC01850.JPG
    Thoughts?

Colin
    Richie, Jaybo, Huw63 and 6 others like this.
  5. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good mate keep it up.

Ian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Although your first attempt was anatomically correct this looks soooo much better (y) . Will be fallowing this thread as I love plastic conversions .
    chippy
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ian and Chip
    I feel much better about this one now. The advice was spot on.
    Next, I want to try one falling ass over teakettle or else one slewing as it's violently reined up.
    Both will involve heavily rotating the hindquarters and severe twisting of the neck and head.

Colin
  8. Huw63 A Fixture

Great progress Colin.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looks much better Colin.
    Just that slight angle on the grounded leg has completely changed the dynamics.
    Keep plugging away
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Haha plugging away hahaha

Sorry. Electrician humour
    Wings5797 likes this.
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Colin,

It looks pretty good to me!! Keep the good work ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interesting thread indeed
    Eismbach stuff looks great but truly daunting as the choice is so large ; where to start:eek:
    Like the idea of bare horses as you can then addd historex saddle furniture , must give this a try
    Huw63, Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    See you are going to the long island show this year Ivo are you doing any other shows .
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Watts up with you, have you got your wires crossed.
    I thought that you had blown a fuse. Shocking!!!
    Sorry crazy old bloke humour.
    Richie, Huw63 and ChaosCossack like this.
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ohm my god, what a shock this is, such resistance and a dyer drive to interfere, this seems to be the current flow on here. Watt is going on?
    Colin you, having a recharge and break has made this more positive than negative, in spike of some of the other comments. By the way did you use any sort of armature?
    It's just the frequency of these comments that are discharged and this is one element I cannot agree on with such reluctance.
    I will be on your side here as a resistor to these. You stay grounded my friend as your magnetism always shines through.
    If any more of these unjust comments come through, I will be the rectifier and if I cannot deal with them I will ask for a regulator and relay this back to you.
    I think things have been amplified enough for now and I seem to be the growler. The way I'm going I'll have a blackout or at least blow a fuse, so I'm going to short circuit someone else's thread.

By the way the horse looks great;)
    cheers
    Richie
    Wings5797 and ChaosCossack like this.
  17. Huw63 A Fixture

Excellent. I'm so pleased to see I'm not the only PF who needs help!!!

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack and Richie like this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Bravo Richie bravo
    You must have dug up your old high school physics text books. You missed inductance and impedance

Colin
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    great thread colin, I follow !
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hiya Mate,
    Too many years spent in electronics, must be getting rusty, it took me 15 mins to work that lot in:D . I must say I'm really enjoying this thread, I have an idea I would like to do in large scale, but it would mean some major surgery. I would want it laying down and a trooper firing over the saddle. As yet I have not worked out the mechanics for the horse.
    So all this horse doctoring it very useful.(y)
    cheers
    Richie