1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Horse SBS

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Ron Tamburrini, Feb 21, 2016.

1. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Ron.
    First I would like to say a big thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this.
    As stated I have only ever used acrylics, I have two horses in my gray army . One will be painted as above, the other will be a Gray.
    Can you tell me what colours I would need for a gray. and if the above method would work for a gray.
    My two daughters have agreed to purchase what is required for my birthday.
    Thanks again
    Mick
  2. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Its a subject almost on its own Mick , Grey horses get lighter as they get older and start to go white , so they are a great many combinations .

As usual start with the deck tan undercoat or even bleached bone if you are using warpaints.

Colour wise , You can have dark or light points . If it is your first grey than dark points will get you out of a lot of trouble " less grey to do ":)

Paint mix :facepalm: Try this for not getting a battleship grey ; Tit white, Burnt umber , Mars yellow , you can add a bit of indigo to this mix but be careful as it is a very powerful pigment ; you only need a tad . NOTE no black in this mix . save the black for the points IE legs , tail and muzzle or you cold add a spot of red to pink up the grey for the latter .

Here is some nice greys from the Conrad plates for ref

img + napoleonico045.jpg img + napoleonico056.jpg img + napoleonico049.jpg

Note the first has a tendency to a pinkish tinge , the second gives a good idea for the leg markings and a variation on the third .
    I would use Mars black for thes parts , it is really one of the most opaque blacks and drys matt as grey horse coats are very flat , the Mars black will easily cover the undercoat and you can
    sponge and lift off letting the base shine through , but go back over with the dry brush to sooth things out .
    If you are new to oils remember not to rag colours into one another but , just bring up close and feather with a soft dry brush .

I will do a grey after I come back from ingolstadt in April .
    Oda, Paul Kernan and mick3272 like this.
  3. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Ron.
    Alas it has to be a Grey as its for a 2nd Dragoon.
    Mick
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Greys are a great challenge Mick but real satisfying if you get it right

Nick I knocked this up ten minutes ago , just a historex horse I use for drafting out colours .
    The Mix is Tit white ,burnt umber , Indigo , Mars yellow, and they are mixed in that order fro left to right .
    It is important you follow that route so you don't end up with green .
    You need to play around with the mix a bit adding white then just a tad of the mars yellow to warm it up .
    IMG_2613.JPG IMG_2616.JPG
    Oda, Jaybo, pgarri27 and 3 others like this.
  5. mick3272 A Fixture

Thanks Ron,
    Just got to wait for me birthday.
    Mick
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ron - I'm shifting it over to "Painting Techniques" forya.

- Steve
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Steve
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    SBS Part II
    This is the figure I will use , I had to put most of it together as this will be a finished piece rather than just a spare horse like part I . MM line lancer trooper.
    IMG_2655.JPG
    As the horse has a head up position i decided to go for the full harness fix before painting , also the lead material supplied is a heavier gauge than normal and would cause damage as a retro fit. Not sure if this is a new concept with MM ; but I hope so as it is just right and stays put insitue .
    Horse colour will be as close as I can get to this picture .
    img + napoleonico048.jpg I am going to undercoat and prime in the one go with " Warpaints aerosol stuff " this suggestion came from Ron Clark so if it goes belly up we know who to blame :D(y)
    Will need to send for the paint first though.
  9. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    you make it easy to follow Ron, thank you for your time.
    Quality.
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

Smashing stuff Ron.

Cheers

Huw
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am going to undercoat and prime in the one go with " Warpaints aerosol stuff " this suggestion came from Ron Clark so if it goes belly up we know who to blame :D(y)
    Will need to send for the paint first though.[/quote]

I'm taking the fifth :p
  12. Trevorkats Active Member

What do you think is a better finish and quality, enamel or Acrylic paints
    regards
    Trevor
  13. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I only use oils for horses Trevor
  14. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Horse primed and ready for base coat .
    IMG_2658.JPG IMG_2661.JPG
    Not much to see at the moment but thoughtI would show the quality of this casting through the primer , will do the base colours tomorrow .
    Huw63, billyturnip and Aveleira like this.
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Metal Model's? very nice detail on these Ron. I'm still here.