1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Horse Artillery Of The Guard 1809

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey Planet

This piece is a Metal Modeles 54mm representing a Gunner 1st Class of the Imperial Guard Horse Artillery, 1809.
    It's painted with Vallejo acrylics. The face and the blue uniform are complete... all other areas are only blocked with the base colour. I think I took at least 4 passes at all the red uniform trim so far and haven't even started highlighting... Lacing may be the death of me:dead:. Haven't touched the hair or any whites yet:nailbiting:
    IMGP0364.jpg IMGP0366.jpg IMGP0367.jpg IMGP0368.jpg IMGP0369.jpg IMGP0372.jpg IMGP0374.jpg IMGP0375.jpg IMGP0376.jpg IMGP0377.jpg
    No matter how hard I tried... the pics still show the blue being alot lighter than it actually is.

Any comments and critiques are as always sought after and most welcome.

Colin
    Don Johnson, Piotrec, crf and 6 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looking good mate, I like the queue as well very well done

Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I think the blue looks spot on Colin, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Looking forward to seeing the rest mate.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looking very good Colin! The blue is nice, perhaps in reality is more like the second set of pics you showed. The red is the correct one for french troops, just a little orange on the highlights and it will look great!
    Wainting to see the rest...

BTW, you're going in 3 fronts now... lots of strengh and pacient needed ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I agree! Nice start! I'm working a napoleonic figurine, too, so I'm watching closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Pedro... There's two other fronts in the works too... Shhhhhh
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno... What figure?
  8. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Art Girona - Brigadier of the 24th Dragoons - 54mm. Changed the regiment -will be 3rd Dragoons and placed him at Jena, in 1806. I'll post soon. I'm painting battleground accessories and have to build the groundwork.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    This one?
    Brigadier, 24th dragoons, France 1809, elite coy..jpg
    I bought this guy off of Alex... Got it stripped and ready to prime. Ready to get into the rotation :sneaky:

Get started and get some pics up here, I'd like to see you join Team Nappy
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Yes!
    I have to paint the groundwork and finish the composition and I'll post!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Colin, looks great mate!!!!!. i think your blue is dead on, i have the same problem with my pics all the time,nothing like seeing the figure in person.
    Wow,looking forward to see your work.
    best regards
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Daniel... I thought this would be a 'quick and easy' one, just to keep my brush moving. It's turned out to be quite a challenge with all the waistcoat braiding and the Hungarian braids on the pantlegs. Just gotta highlight the red then go at the colpack, pouch and boots.

I'll keep ya posted

Colin
    MarquisMini likes this.
  13. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Looks very wonderful, Colin. :woot:
    Excellent start!
    I am looking forward to completion.;)

Mitsutaka:)
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Sometimes we think : 'oh,this is going to be a breeze", but end up being a challenge.
    That is what makes this an interesting hobby and art.
    looking fwd to see that blue finished,i am sure you will do a great job as usual.
    Best regards
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Lasalle A Fixture

Italy
    Hi Colin! Looks like a great start. The only advice I can give you is just to do a little darker blue, adding a bit of black and Red cadmium.
    Ciao!
    Andrea
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Or give it a "wash on andrea navy blue,i find that color to be a savior on the blues.
    Try it and you will not regret.
    Mix 1 drop of navy blue and 12 of distilled water.
    Cheers
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice one and a good idea to do all your hussars and figures with braiding before you get old and your hands start to shake :)

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Well done Colin. Very subtle and smooth. I think your mixes are spot on!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Andrea and Daniel, thanx for the comments and the tips I will give it a wash with some shade tone... I'm worried about going too dark. In the Rousselot book it shows this blue as not as dark as the Infantry or Cuirassier coat blue. I'll do it in small stages.

Colin, too late... my hands have been shaking for years and I feel way older than I look... and I look OLD :dead: but thanx for the vote of confidence.

Colin
  20. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    ok,but remember you could always go lighter when you are starting to highlight lol :D