1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Hopi Kachinas

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mwthompson, Jun 30, 2011.

1. mwthompson Active Member

United-States
    Here are a few more of my Hopi Kachinas. They are scratch built starting with a Hisorex Academy nude. The clothing and accessories are made from 2 part putty. The feathers are carved with a hot knife from plastic.

009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg
  2. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    What a novel idea. Love both the subjects and execution.
  3. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Great m8 - I'm interested in your hot knife on plasti-card is it ?, method, please explain if you can.:cool:
  4. nelly-samy Well-Known Member

France
    Fantastic work Mike !
  5. Centaur Member

Germany
    :))Really a hot knife :))
    A new view, kind and material, a wonderful and very nice idea and a clap with hand on my head, because I have them in wood since a long time, bought with Chuck ( Red Lancers ) at my visit of World Expo in Washington.
    Fantastic Work indeed.
    Kind regards
  6. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really cool. It would be nice to see some comercial kits of Kachinas.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very good work.

Marc
  8. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

Okay, your figures all have to be broken, now.

Seriously, these are some excellent peices. Any chance they'll be at the Long Island Show in November?
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    There's a lot of great detail there, very nicely done!

Ski.
  10. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic work Mike on these very colourful subjects.

Cheers David
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb work on each one.
    Carl.
  12. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    I always thought that Kachinas would make a good subject for modeling. The major impediment for me was finding good photo reference. As all can see, they DO make a good subject!
  13. Centaur Member

Germany
    I always thought that Kachinas would make a good subject for modeling. The major impediment for me was finding good photo reference. As all can see, they DO make a good subject!.......

Hi-Hello Mike nice to meet us here again , I have got a book about it and a POW WOW is always a nice meeting to take contact deeper and deeper !
    The sculpture is over 30 000 years old.
    Most of them was done by religion and ritual sculpts.
    Not I personally, have problems, but the collectors !
    I have done for a while some Codiac girls - no one wants- I have done Feng shui elements as girls - no one wants.
    The Hopi never was warriors and this is the think !
    Peaceful warriors has no great commercial saleground and you know this is necessairy for the sculptor and for the sculpt and cast !
    What do you mean, is this a risk or you will do private like Mr. Mike Thompson ??
    Mail me please and I will be lucky to see one from your hand !
    Thanks in advance
    Kind regards Ulrich
  14. Ferris A Fixture

Great work Mike. Very attractive pieces!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  15. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Don't know of any, but been away from castings forever....I do know there is an excellent Apache Gan Dancer from Little Generals years ago by Ron Hinote. Larger scale. Not the same as a Kachina, but somewhat similar. Must be rare by now.
    Wonderful figure...Ron was simply great.
    These are delightful and well done figures...love the brightness of the painting style on them. Perfect.
  16. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Let me know if you ever need references.
  17. mwthompson Active Member

United-States
    Rob, I cut plastic strips to the generally shape of the feather. Then I use a instrument that I got a long time ago called a pyrogravure. This was an instrument that was used extensive during the heyday of Historex to add detail to plumes, fur hats, etc. It is basically a hot knife with a very fine needle like point. I use a reostat to get the heat just right and then carve the lines in the feathers. Too hot and it melts the plastic. Too cold and it won't carve. It can be very time consuming to make a hundred or so feathers for one 54mm figure but you can make them any size you need. fmfehg tkliI
  18. mwthompson Active Member

United-States
    The best reference I have found for Kachinas is Kachinas: A Hopi Artist Documentary by Cliff Bahnimptewa. This was considered at one time the bible of Kachinas. It was published at least 30 years ago. I don't know if it still is in print. Here are a few more of my models. I have about 40.

002.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg
    gordy likes this.
  19. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really do love these Mike. I share your interest in Native American studies. Wish I had them in my collection.
  20. Mark S Guest

These pieces are brilliant indeed.
    It's great to see modellers depicting indigenous subjects with such passion and attention to detail and respect for their individuality without considering the differences a simple matter of rivet counting.
    Love these figures, can you post some more?