1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Home Guard Veteran from Tiger Tattoo

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everybody ,

Mention WW2 Home defence and the words Home Guard invariably are mentioned , represented both on the small and now the large screen by the series and film called Dad's Army packed full of characters .

As my grandfather was RSM in the Home Guard ( after serving as a boy soldier in WW1) I thought I would share some information on the Wiltshire Home Guard.

On 14 May 1940, Mr. Anthony Eden made an appeal 'to men aged between 17 and 65 who were not engaged in military service and who wished to do something for the defence of their country, to come forward and offer their services'. This led to the formation of Local Defence Volunteers (L.D.V.) whose main roles were observation, information and prevention of sabotage and catching of spies. In July 1940 at the behest of the new Prime Minister, Mr. Winston Churchill, the Local Defence Volunteers were renamed the Home Guard. After D-Day and once the threat of invasion was no longer deemed to be credible, the Home Guard was stood down on 3 December 1944 and disbanded on 31 December 1945.

The Wiltshire Home Guard comprised 13 general service battalions, an anti-aircraft battery, and a motorised transport company

14 May 1940
    Formation of Local Defence Volunteers

July 1940
    Renamed Home Guard

3 August 1940
    Home Guard affiliated to county regiments; permission to wear regimental cap badge and battledress. Shoulder titles, abbreviated county and battalion numbers adopted to differentiate them from regular and territorial forces

1 February 1941
    Home Guard officers granted commissions. Gen. Hon. Sir Francis Gathorne Hardy appointed Zone Commander

1 May 1941
    Wiltshire divided into North and South Group; Lord Roundway commanded North Group, Gen. Freeth South Group

16 February 1942
    Compulsory enrolment of men between the ages of 17 and 51.

March 1942
    Lord Roundway appointed Zone Commander; designation altered to Group Commander. North and South Groups abolished

29 March 1944
    Lord Roundway passed away; Group Commander appointment abolished, replaced by a Home Guard Adviser - Col. His Grace The Duke of Somerset, D.S.O., O.B.E.

September 1944
    Compulsory enrolment ceases

3 December 1944
    Home Guard stood down

31 December 1945

Home Guard disbanded

All counties had their own units from Shetland to the South coast, West and East , all proud to do their bit and serve their country in its hour of need , men too old or too young to join the regulars ...in one word they were very keen to say the least , using at the start home made weapons , eventually being issued uniforms weapons etc.

HAAAA.JPG 000000..JPG h.jpg H11.jpg H11A.jpg HAAAAA.JPG HAAAAAAAA.jpg HAAAAAAAAAA.jpg HAAAAAAAAA.jpg HAAAAAA.jpg H1AA.jpg H1A.jpg H1.jpg HAAA.jpg HA.jpg HAA.jpg
    Many different and strange and often very dangerous weapons were in use ...more risk to the user than the enemy!!!

2.jpg 2a.jpg
    HAAAAAAA.JPG
    [IMG]

A couple of good books on the HG are available here they are
    0A.jpg 0AA.jpg

As I said many characters were in the units with the review subject being perhaps a little recognised to say the least !!!
    x.jpg
    Continued in next post

Nap
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Do I detect a project for Jimbo coming on Napoleon Man...wearing.
    Mick
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi folks,

As I said in the 1st part there has been that rather funny TV series and now we have the new film out recently , all portraying the HG in a lighthearted manner , lead by a pompous Captain ( you might remember this from Rob Henden at last years Euro XX.jpg ......

well the man has been at it again thankfully and now we have the subject of this review .
    x.jpg

Here are a couple more reference you might find useful
    000000000000.JPG
    0000000000.JPG
    quite a collection eh !!!
    1. Egypt Medal (1882–1889)
    2. Indian General Service Medal (1895–1902)
    3. Queen's Sudan Medal (1897)
    4. Queen's South African War Medal (1899–1902)
    5. King's South African War Medal (1901–1902)
    6. India General Service Medal (1909)
    7. 1914 Star (or 1914–15 Star)
    8. British War Medal
    9. Allied Victory Medal
    10. Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (with post-1918 ribbon)
    11. Khedive's Star (1882–1891)
    12. Khedive's Sudan Medal
    0000AA.jpg
    00000AA.jpg
    000000..JPG
    za.jpg 00000.jpg 0000.jpg 000.jpg 00000A.jpg 000000AA.jpg
    0.jpg
    Lets have a bit about the name Tattoo Tiger ...why choose that...well its a mark of respect to Robs late father who had a tattoo of a Tiger and crossed Kukri put onto his arm whilst serving in Malaya in the 1950's , and also as a thanks for all the encouragement his father gave him in Robs pursuit of the hobby......I can't think of any better reasons for choosing it .

Details of the release

Title: Home Guard Veteran

Scale: Approx 1/9th

Materials: Gray Resin

No of Parts: 8 ( 6 resin 2 metal wires)

Sculptor: Rob Henden

Box Art: Rob Henden

Casting: Marc Day ( Sovereign 2000)

This is the first from Rob and I purchased this direct from Rob , shipping was very quick , well packed , in a good box with the resin being in bubblewrap, a colour picture on the top
    Robs Home Guard 001.jpg
    Parts consist of main torso , head , right arm , hand, bayonet , glasses , 2 pieces of wire.

Robs Home Guard 002.jpg

Prep

Torso...Casting gates to remove from the lower part
    Head...Remove casting excess from under neck and fit to torso
    Arm...Remove casting remnant from shoulder area and cuff and fit to torso
    Hand...Test fit this to cuff and reduce peg if needed , cut off small remnant from bayonet
    Bayonet...Remove from casting gate and fit in position
    Glasses...Very carefully remove from casting blocks and fit as and when you wish ( use the wires provided for the sides)

Overall not a lot to do , you will have to be careful with the glasses ( I will make another set from wire ..just in case!!) ...Robs version has the glasses made in wire .

Lets look at the Torso first

On my review item that I purchased Rob kindly engraved 1st on the back as it was the first he had sold
    Robs Home Guard 009.jpg

Its a large piece of resin and the first thing that leaps out at me is the texture of the uniform , all over its really well shown , able to feel it when running my finger across .
    The casting is sharply done by Marc Day with good definition of the webbing straps and nice definition of the edges and the pocket style .
    Robs Home Guard 003.jpg
    Onto the ribbons the outline shape of the 3 lines are above the pocket , not all are seen due to the webbing strap ...I forgive you Rob!!! The painting can be easily done using this outline to work to .

Robs Home Guard 005.jpg Robs Home Guard 004.jpg
    The collar is nicely shaped and with good undercuts , these comments are also applicable to the epaulettes ...again the texture is there .
    Robs Home Guard 011.jpg
    The neck area is very cleanly finished without any annoying ( to me at least!!) bits of excess resin left , its all ready to receive the head
    Robs Home Guard 010.jpg
    Robs Home Guard 007.jpg

The right shoulder has a hole ready to receive the arm Robs Home Guard 008.jpg , the left upper arm has the shoulder title and a blank patch underneath ready to have the chosen designation on it ( you can of course choose other units ) , there are the stitching around the edge with the title "Home Guard" being well done , proud and easy to paint ) Robs Home Guard 006.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
  4. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Great review Kev full of info and Rob a superb bust(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Its not finished yet...lol !!!!!

Nap
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another fine review of ole Jonesie. Nice on Kev.
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the remaining parts

The Head fit is simple and very accurate into the neck area , looking at the side cap first again the textures are there , the shape is spot on , the badge of the regiment is very nicely worked on the side ( the so called prancing horse ) Robs Home Guard 023.jpg , again the casting brings out the details of the cap shape , buttons are very good where the cap meets the head undercuts are very good , the hair fills the back parts , its long as in the character , well defined and swept back.
    Robs Home Guard 018.jpg
    The facial features are in a simple word ...excellent
    Robs Home Guard 016.jpg Robs Home Guard 017.jpg Robs Home Guard 019.jpg Robs Home Guard 020.jpg Robs Home Guard 021.jpg Robs Home Guard 022.jpg
    Robs Home Guard 024.jpg

Eye's are accurate as are the ears and nose areas , there is a perfectly well kept moustache twirled at the ends , really adding to the whole look of it , everything is smoothly done on the actual flesh with the features being sharply done

The Right Arm this is held just above his pocket ready to take the hand , again textures are there, the seam is seen running up the middle at the back , nice folds with good cuff details , we also see the full set of badges including his rank of L/Cpl , nicely worked
    Robs Home Guard 015.jpg
    The cuff is as the neck cleanly finished off ready to take the hand , fit to the torso shoulder is good , a smidgeon of filler but nothing else
    . Robs Home Guard 012.jpg Robs Home Guard 014.jpg Robs Home Guard 013.jpg

The Hand a really nice sculpt fingers well formed with the nails being worked represented , the fingers are gripping the bayonet handle , again nice work on this it looks right for the 1907 issue weapon , the wooden texture is there Robs Home Guard 025.jpg , what I particularly like is the fact that there is a cutout ready for the actual bayonet itself . Robs Home Guard 028.jpg

Robs Home Guard 029.jpg Robs Home Guard 027.jpg Robs Home Guard 026.jpg

Bayonet , this is a really good shape and did not need straightening , careful work is needed to remove the excess resin though , fit is simple into the cutout as Rob has added a locating piece on the lower edge.

Robs Home Guard 030.jpg

Finally the Glasses these are cast in resin , Robs version has them in wire , these will look good in place but will need a very sharp knife to take off , my suggestion is to fit and paint and then add once the face is completed. Robs Home Guard 032.jpg Robs Home Guard 031.jpg

Final Thoughts

I am very happy to have got one of these , its a real fun filled piece , making me and you smile all the way from opening the box to what will continue when painting commences to seeing the completed version in the display cabinet.

Presentation is simple and more than enough, sculpting is very good , very life like with all the uniform textures you could wish for , the casting by Marc from S2K brings out all the details well .

Rob has hinted he might cast the Captain we saw at Euro 2015 ..I do hope so and I hope we see a couple more characters ..perhaps the Welsh photographer or the young lad

Highly recommended

You can contact Rob either by his Facebook page

or by e mail to:

robs356speedster@talktalk.net

Thanks to you all for looking in

Have some fun filled modelling ..you will with this one

Nap
  8. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant!
    Gordon
    anstontyke, peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets now enjoy some of the painting from Rob

The actual piece will be at Euro 2016 so you can have a better look at it there

1aaa.jpg
    1.jpg
    1a.jpg
    1aa.jpg

Finally one of the Captain and the Veteran together ...great characters eh!!!

01.jpg

Nap
  10. swralph A Fixture

I have been looking at your review's throughout the year Nap.
    This is certainly up to the standard's of what we can expect from you.
    Great review.
    By the way "They don't like it up em";).
  11. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    is it finished now?......Oops!!:whistle:
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  12. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another great review. I think I may have to order this kit.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Reckon so ...lol

Nap
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  15. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very happy memories of 'Dad's Army'; are they available commercially?

Mike
  16. Nap Moderator

England

Indeed Mike it was good fun watching episodes ..in the name of research!

If anybody wants to get one the details are in the review ...by e mail or message on FB to Rob

Thanks for looking in

Nap
  17. Mookie Well-Known Member

Fantastic sculpt,Would be marvellous to see lots of the gang,Godfrey would be great and Wilson and Pikey.Must get one of these.
    Brilliant and a great review!!!.
    Richard.
  18. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great review, great figure!
    One very small [and extremely picky point!] - bayonet is in his right hand [not left!]
    BR
    Ian
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ian

Thanks for pointing this out ..I never knew my right from left ever since I lost the ribbon that was tied to it!..lol

Happy painting

Nap
    anstontyke, peedee and Jimbo like this.
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Absolutely love this character bust from one of my all time great TV series, it's a superb likeness to Cpl Jones.
    :) Cheers
    Jim