1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

HMS Victory as a Storyboard Diorama.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by JohnReid, Sep 29, 2008.

1. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
    HMS Victory Rigging.
    If you guys would like I will post the sequence that I used to rig this ship.I kept a log over the many years of building this ship so I might as well put it to good use.
    I have noticed that most books on rigging actually do not give you a step by step rigging sequence which leads to a lot of confusion.
    My model is more than just "harbour rigged "as I wanted to depict the ship as she would be just before hauling up the sails from storage and repair.
    In the beginning I will give just the basic sequence and if I get the time I will fill in the details as to rope sizes etc...
    Because I post to more than just ship related websites,please let me know if you are interested and if so,I could start a new thread just dealing with this subject. Cheers! John.
  2. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  3. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  4. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
    This post was from another thread on another website but I thought that you guys might be interested.

Wow, spectacular model. A great showpiece of skill and patience. The rigging... unbelievable.
    But, the figures are very distracting to me. Uniforms are too blue/red etc and too glossy. Colours are way too saturated - they ought to fade with distance.

My response:
    Actually that was done on purpose so that the figures would not get lost in the rest of the detail.This is a decorative,storyboard type diorama and is meant to tell the story of life at sea on one of these old warships.The figures are really more important than the rest of the diorama in my view.This diorama was done for children and the young at heart and is an educational tool. The intense coloration helps me tell the story.
    Cheers! John.
  5. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  6. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  7. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  8. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
    As far as I know.....
    this is the only ship model that there is of HMS Victory as a storyboard diorama, complete with scale figures .I have searched the web and I have never seen another anywhere in books,mags etc...
    If anyone out there knows of another I sure would like to know about it ,if for nothing else just to satisfy my own curiosity .Thanks! Cheers. John.
  9. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  10. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  11. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
    Classic Marine type Dolphins.
    This is where my other hobby woodcarving came in handy.I carved this classic design from cherry wood.Two of these plus a center piece, screwed into the base, support the ship.The base itself is African cherry wood of a slightly different color and the plexiglass cases base is American walnut.All these woods were especially selected to harmonize with the ships copper plates.
  12. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  13. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
    [IMG]
    Fun with photoshop!
  14. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  15. JohnReid Active Member

Canada
  16. JohnReid Active Member

Canada