1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

History of the 'Peninsular War', by Sir Charles Oman. (7 vols)

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Tubby-Nuts2, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Has anyone managed to get through the full, 7 volumes, of this History ? and if so, what are your thoughts?: It seems a daunting task. :eek:.. 41VZSM8TP2L__.jpg

Mark
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    The British win in the end
    Steve
    crf and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  3. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Helm likes this.
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Way back in the early, 90's... I managed to get a 'Cabinet Edition', of, Napier's, 5 Vol set! of the Peninsula War, (Circa 1885!) .. which was previously owned by the historian, 'Colonel', HCB Rodgers', with his pencil notes!... This was a good, but hard read! ... However, by comparison to the amount of text, that the Oman books have, this is making me think twice!.:eek:
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I have the version where all the battles have been condensed into a single volume.... I think. :confused: I'll have to have a search, I think it's in the wardrobe where clothes are supposed to go. :D

Roger.
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I always ask myself what have I remembered? some of these books are very academic and superb if you have a retentive memory-these days I content myself with the odd osprey book which is about as detailed as my memory will allow and only about 10% of that if I am lucky:(

Keith.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    They've got nice pictures too Keith...... well some of them. :rolleyes:
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I can remember the pictures Roger............where they were is a bit of a problem these days;)
  10. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  11. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Roger,
    I would like to take you up on this offer. I would like to know more about Captain William HANSON of the 20th Light Dragoons. He apparently was killed at the battle of the Heights of Ordal near Villa Franca Spain on 13 September 1813 ( the last British officer killed in the last French victory in the Peninsula). I became aware of him three years ago while visiting the church of Saint George in the village of Great Bromley, Essex. My direct ancestor, Simon Stone, was baptized and married in that church before immigrating to Massachusetts in 1635. In that church there is a wonderful marble commemorative sculpture to Captain Hanson. Curiously, he is depicted in the pre-1812 old style Light Dragoon uniform. So which did he wear in 1813 at Ordal? All the best, Jay.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Jay, an interesting story and I'm only too happy to look him up for you. I'm at work in the North Sea at the moment but due home on Friday so it will probably be next weekend before I can post the info.

Roger.
  13. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Roger, ... I was unaware of this book! ... have just ordered it through! (y)

Regards,

Mark
    billyturnip likes this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Good stuff Mark, hope you enjoy it.

Roger.
  15. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Roger. I take it that you work in the oil industry? Please have a safe journey home to North Riding.
    Jay
    Tubby-Nuts2 likes this.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Jay, I work on a ship but yes involved with the oil industry. Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to heading home this week.

Roger.
  17. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't worry Jay! .. this 'Ole Bugger', will be around after 'Armageddon', strikes!, ..and will be looking up his reference books, to tell us all, what the, 'F*ck', happened ! :D :ROFLMAO:

Mark
    Jaybo and billyturnip like this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    As promised Capt. William Hanson's entry.

Roger.

PICT0169.JPG
  19. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Roger. That is much more information than I thought would be available. Now I wonder what uniform he would have been wearing in 1813...old or new style?
    All the best,
    Jay
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You're welcome Jay. Funnily enough I have the same dilemma. I found an Officer that lived nearby to me, he was wounded at the Battle of Cryslers Farm 1813. I did think I would paint some flats depicting his regiment at the battle but couldn't find any concrete proof on what uniform they would have worn, pre 0r 1812 regulations.

Roger.