1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historical Miniature Magazine

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guy, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I got mine about three weeks ago, and I still think this publication is in the top 3, if not #1
  3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I don't subscribe but have been ordering them thru Colo Mini's lately.

It is good to hear that there are many figure related articles.

At the risk of incurring others wrath, I felt the last two issues had one too many articles that had less to do with figure painting / sculpting techniques and more to do with color plates, visits to museums or battle "summaries" This is my opinion only!

BTW, who did that beauty on the cover?

Keith
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
    The cover is a David Lane figure.
  5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Ah that would explain it then... :lol:

David's stuff is just great. I don't recall the specifics but his article in HM on converted Brit Hussar was wonderful. Love those oil painting articles :lol:

BTW, I enjoyed your article, John. Especially the ground work effort.

Keith
  6. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Kieth, I appreciate that. I'll try to do another one. Maybe my current project will turn into something.

HM's content has been terrific IMO lately. There seems to be a pretty good balance of articles. Something for everybody.
  7. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I've seen and heard about this magazine but, as one might expect, can't find it at all at the news stand. How do you go about getting a subscription? Do they have a website?
  8. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Glenn, there used to be but I can't seem to find it. Maybe these will be of some help to you.

Phone # (818) 991-9044

Or send to:

R&K Productions
    31316 Via Colinas- Unit 105
    Westlake Village, CA 91362

Or email :
    rkprod@earthlink.net

Hopefully these will help you ;)

Jim Patrick
  9. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Jim. I'll get in touch with the publisher and see if I can get hooked up for the next issue. Cheers.

Glenn
  10. Pete_H New Member

Keith,
    Guess what? The article by Bruno Schmaling on the native American Indian figure is pretty much the same thing - 5 1/2 pages of history and only 1 1/2 pages on painting. Even then, the content on painting the figure doesn't really offer much. I think you'll get more out of Jurgen Nirschl's article on the Primus Pilus figure.
  11. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Pete-

It's a tough one. The issue before this one, I think I finished reading in about an hour. But, a few other earlier issues with articles by Phil Kessling and David Lane's were gems.

I have not quite made up my mind yet as to whether to get this one yet. The comments here are a help. Thx.

Keith
  12. Bruno New Member

Hi Pete,

I just read your comment and I think it is very intereting, as it shows the different attitudes towards our common hobby. The one way ist just to paint a figurine because someone like it, and not be interested in the history. When people like it, It is alright, it is a free hobby!

The German figurine scene comes from the background of the "Cultural and Historical Figurine". This concept uses the figurine to represent the culture and history and to inform about historical events. This is the way I try to follow with my articel.
    For me, modern warfare inclooding the 1th and 2nd world war is very boring, so normaly I dont read articles on this subject. But in Historical Miniature Nb. 45 there were the article "Above and Beyond" by Bob Sarnovski. I just want to step to the next pages, as something on the articel cought my attention and I read the article. It leard in a moving article about very brave men and suddenly the diorama was filled with live.

According to Native Americans. The Native Americans are a very important part of American history. Unfortunately this history had not the attentions it deserves. The true history of this people is widely unknown by white people and was reduced over decades to some "shouting savages" to be shot by John Wayne from her horses.
    The Native Americans had a unbelivable great culture and heritage, which easily matches the beautifulness of Napolenonic Uniforms. I'm sure, if figurine enthusiasts discover the riche ness of Indian cloth and artefacts, they will be eager to paint and create such figurines.
    Unfortunately the fast majority of commercial figurines on North American Indians ae far away from the real appearance of this people. There are the boring "Hollywood fantasy Apache, Iroquise ore Sioux"" which hardly attract people to paint them.
    With my articel I want to show what Indian heritage and history can offer to the figurine world and I hope to support figurine friends to paint and creat correct Indian figurines.
    Now I'm on the point of the beginning of my comment. It is my oppinion, that to create and paint a real historical figurine it is necessar to understand the history and heritage. Than we had real "historical figurines".

Best greatings from Germany

Bruno
  13. nberrington Member

Canada
    Ciao Bruno

I must confess I have always enjoyed your articles, esp the medieval ones, offering a brief background to the figure done.

Currently there is no ideal historical miniature mag - Mil Mod has very little devoted to figures, Fig International features articles on toys and fantasy figures, and Historical Minaiture often strays to peripheral topics. Sadly Soldatini is only in Italian, but in my mind represents a good balance for content.

As an obsessive compulsive person (which you do understand, I know), I have HM from issue number 1. In fact I have Mil Mod from issue #1. How does one discontinue such a collectoin?

I think Steve Weakley has been doing a great job, but I agree with Pete, more figure articles would be nice, esp when you see the breadth of talent in the hobby. World Expo was amazing - and I always am astounded by the creativity of modellers.

It seems all the magazines have all lagged behind the pace of the hobby - suddenly there are very unconverntional displays, revitalized shadow boxes and new tecniques in painting. Suddenly Kostas is putting reflections on figures, instead of just highlights, Einion is shading in complimentary colours and Ray is using a whole new type of paint for figures. A current journal should be up on these things! In my job, innovation reaches the literature before general application - not vice-versa! I would personally would like to see a few more step by step articles of new and emerging ideas.

Over time, the mag will develop and change, but readers and contributors can steer the content a bit. Cudos to Steve for doing a great job so far, but I hope he does increase the "figure" content a bit. For our part, I would encourage us all to continue to support him, as HM is after all the premier mag for English readres.

Ciao!

Neil