1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historical Miniature #52

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Jim Patrick, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Steve Weakley sent me this so we here at pF can preview the upcoming issue of HM. It'll be out in a few weeks. An article index will be in the follow on response.

Thanks Steve!
    Jim Patrick

[IMG]
  2. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Here is the promised article index.

Bavarian Hauptman 1630
    By Jurgen Nirschl
    How figure was sculpted and painted based upon a
    re-enactor of the 30 Years War

Duke of Bavaria Show
    By Bruno Schmaeling
    Duke of Bavaria figure show held in Ingolstadt Germany

Painting the
    American Indian
    By Bob Knee
    How to paint American Indians

Beethoven
    By Nick Infield
    How Nick built the Beethoven shadow box

Thinking Large
    By Bill Ottinger
    Painting a large scale figure

Jim Patrick
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Can't wait, it should arrive just in time to distract me from grading. :lol: :lol:
  4. Pete_H New Member

Grading? Are you teaching? What? Where?
  5. stev1eran Member

Is this magazine available in the UK? if so who are the stockists?
    If not can I get it through subscription?
    I would be grateful for any info PF members may have
    Thanks
  6. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wow! Who built that vignette on the cover? Awesome!
  7. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve....you can get a subscription or buy individual copies from Dave Freeman at Bonapartes in Bath right here in the U.K. Click right here..!!

All the best....Roy.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Waiting two weeks :angry: :angry:

I must contact Craig to send me number 51 and 52.
    Cannot wait for the next two numbers. So be it.

marc
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Teaching Assistant for a US History Survey course at CSUN might turn into a lecturing gig, but SWMBO is appling to grad school in DC, so who knows what the future holds
  10. stev1eran Member

Cheers Roy,
    all done and dusted, it should be winging its way up country very shortly (y)
    Steve
  11. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Ok, when I got home from work today, this issue was was waiting in the mailbox. All in all, a really good issue. In Steve's section, he lays out and explains the reasons for switching to a quarterly format. No worries for those of us who have subscriptions. They'll honor all of your issues. All of the aforementioned articles are very well laid out with some of the best photography to date in the magazine. The Ingolstadt Show coverage is especially nice. A note, that I Particularly enjoyed, it seems that HM is begining to show more and more people at the show and not just the entries. Yes, I know it's been done that way plenty of times but not this much in recent memory. If you are out there and plan to do show reviews for HM, please keep this in mind. Bob Knee's article is another one well done. He uses oil paints but was kind enough to include color "chips" so even we acrylic painters can get a rough approximation for painting American Indian flesh. Nick Infield's article on his shadow box is equally impressive. Not quite as impressive as seeing it at World Expo but, hey, what can we ask for?! :lol: It's nice to see him breaking the design down for the aspiring shadow box designer in HM's readership. Last but not least is Bill Ottinger's article on painting large figures. Pretty interesting as Bill almost exclusivly paints converted 54mm Historex figures. So there you have it. All in all, this is (yet again) one of HM's better issues. Go get yours today!

By the way, Jason, the vignette on the cover was built and painted by Raffael Nalin and was entitled, "Moriscos" and was seen at The Ingolstadt show.

Jim Patrick
  12. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I got mine today too, so I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight. :lol: Jim, you give a fair assement of the content, though I am a bit weary of the decision to go to quarterly, I will be renewing my subscription, but for me it is like a tv program changing time slots, it just seems to muck things up. I've Steve and Ron for years, and know that they make sound decisions so I guess we will have wait and see.
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I think the quarterly issues will give them more time to give us a better magazine with more content.
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hey Guy's,

I received mine last week. It is a pitty that the magazine is becoming a quarterly magazine. Then i have to wait a half year to order them.
    Here in the Netherlands it is not availeble. So i order it from Colorado Miniatures. It is the same on post and package for one or four magazines.
    But if the magazine improves more, it is worth it.

marc